Buying a TREK Y

I enjoyed the Y11 that I owned for a while. Obviously, URT has been superseded by better designs but as a lightweight, short travel simple design, I found it alright. But the main reason for buying a Y is the great looks from the carbon main triangle; if you like it, buy one. I had no trouble with the main pivot or shock bushings, and everything else is standard stuff. Mine went to live in the Netherlands funnily enough....I guess it's still there somewhere! :)

I had an aluminum Trek Y-Glide back in those days.. Great looking bike but still a big mistake. Downhills were scary, like on a hardtail because the suspension worked only on saddle. Cracked the front & rear triangles too but it wasn't all XC I was riding.

They are flawed but they are also fun. Best approach is ride one without preconceived ideas, dont expect them to behave like a modern sorted full susser, if you do then it probably wont be for you.
I viewed them more as a hardtail that became soft when you sat down, comfy on the long slogs but turning into a hardish tail when it got more techy and you were out the saddle. They are good for XC they are Not for DH.
I also like Reliant Robins but as above would never pretend they were as good as mainstream cars, they're different, dont approach them with preconception.

Back