Bullseye cranks

The hole "looks" to still be 8mm.
I am wondering if someone was unable to find a long M8x0.75 chainring bolt, and re-cut the thread for "standard" ISO M8x1.25. Perhaps gently try a "standard" M8 bolt and see how you get on

elite504":227zed5d said:
RetroRider_IT":227zed5d said:
It should be 1/4" UNF

1/4 UNF is for spider-to-crank, not chainring to spider.

Thank you mate for the clarification !!!

I was in trouble .... no problem I will keep the 1/4" bolts as "spare parts" for my Bulls :roll:

Cheers

Next question…..

One of the seals on the original BB was missing and the inner race was very wobbly, so without intervention/inspection I wasn’t going to be able to use it. I’ve lined up the slots and removed the bearings. The races aren’t great and the outer has clearing been running out of alignment for some time as the bearings have cut another groove! Anyway, any ideas what the seal material is made from? I’ve been looking at Martin’s blog and he’s replaced his with something that looks pretty close http://www.secondspincycles.com/2012/01 ... rings.html but he’s not answered my PM.

Attachments

• IMG_4462.JPG
    IMG_4462.JPG
    55.4 KB · Views: 295
  • IMG_4464.JPG
    IMG_4464.JPG
    52.6 KB · Views: 295
We have tried to warn you how crap the original bearings and even worse the seals are...

Basically it's a fibre board, but I have seen plenty that are just an open bearing, especially on the drive side of the cranks

Basically a case of flushing and cleaning after each use if you want to stay on top of them...or maybe even replace them with something with seals!

gil_m":kyv5x76g said:
We have tried to warn you how crap the original bearings and even worse the seals are...

Basically it's a fibre board, but I have seen plenty that are just an open bearing, especially on the drive side of the cranks

Basically a case of flushing and cleaning after each use if you want to stay on top of them...or maybe even replace them with something with seals!

I took everything you've told me onboard but the crank came with everything... and yes they're horrible! I don't plan to use them for long as I'm going to switch to the outboards later. Fibreboard, as in paper gasket material?

From memory I once used very thin Printed Circuit Board fibre glass...

Used to work in the PCB industry so had loads spare, think you will find it hard to cut accurately

But that's the kind of thing, even used credit card material once :facepalm:

The weave within the "paper" suggests glassfibre, kevlar etc and I'm guessing it's all bonded together in some sort of flexible resin.

I used thin polycarbonate from a paper work folio, I also used DVD cases to make BB shims, that might work and it was easy to cut

Are the races ok?
You should be able to fit new ball bearings and you could seal it with a piece of the grey pipe insulation soaked in grease. BITD you could buy foam seals like this to put on you BB and hub axles to stop dirt ingress, they worked quite well. I'm not sure how the slit in pipe insulation would last though. You can convieiently get it in 22mm ID too!

Back