Building my first bike - choosing the right components

Would a rear derailleur made for 7 speed cassette (specifically a RDA550) have enough lateral movement to cover the width of a 8/9 speed cassette?
not sure.
i had a Deore DX which i used on 10 speed successfully.
Ive got an XT 8 speed that doesnt want to accept any more cogs than 8

Something like a STX-RC MC38 would do a fine job all round. Quality, silver and cheap.

What puts me off standard chainsets is that modern cassettes all start with a 11 or 12 sprocket, so coupled with a 52-or 53, im carrying a couple of gears that never get used. The last time I needed something bigger than 48x12 was descending into Bourg from the Galibier

Totally agree that 53-12 is not needed anywhere short of a bunch sprint - and even the pros can only hold it for 200yds.

Something like a STX-RC MC38 would do a fine job all round. Quality, silver and cheap.
Yes, that's the other option.
The reason behind the RD-A550 is that I can pair it with a front derailleur of the same series, which is not available for the STX, as it has to be braze on

Totally agree that 53-12 is not needed anywhere short of a bunch sprint - and even the pros can only hold it for 200yds.

Yup. Is it any wonder why people started doing the unthinkable of putting MTB parts on a road bike and Gravel bikes taking off?

Shimano have had their head so up their own arse year after year that they could never right size gearing. An intelligent move would have been different gearing options between gruppos.

But no....one size fits all. Racing size. Dura-Ace and Sora essentially on the same gearing. What a joke.

And finally, here she is.
Almost done. I only need to put the bar tape, but I am still unsure what brake levers to go with.

Her name is Prima and I am very happy with her.
My goal was to build a sub-9kg bike with less than £500, but I ended up spending just over £525, and the final weight is 9.4kg. Not that it matters much, but I like the keep track of these things. I weighted all parts with the kitchen scale and the total comes up at 9350g, with the bathroom scale the total is 9.4kg

The ride quality is very nice. Steel might be real, but there is nothing of the alleged suppleness of a steel frame. It's bloody stiff :)
The photos were taken before the ride, so the seat and the brake levers are still in a semi-random position. Since then I angled the brake levers slightly differently and shifted the seat back. The handlebar feels very light, almost too twitchy, but other than that it's a very nice ride.
I am just not entirely sure I will keep the downtube shifters.
I chose them because of price and vintage look, but the bike feels all but vintage, so I don't feel it makes much sense to keep them. I may just buy a pair of Sora shifters if I find them cheap enough (the R3000, I don't like the older models). They also should offer much better ergonomics than the Tektro brake levers.

Overall I am very happy. Can't wait to go for a proper ride!

Back