Build thread: 1993 Kona Explosif

Nice job

I like that bike. Good job.

I just swapped back with a friend his old '93 explosif for the OCLV. With the Altitude in the stable, I really didn't need two steel retro frames, but I really liked the Kona.

Don't believe the critics of that seat. It looks fine. Sure a black Avocet O2 or a Flite Ti would look racier, but so what. I just take issue with the 4-bolt cranks! C'mon, there's lots of nice 5 bolt square taper kit from Race Face, Middleburn, et al. (The stock Sugino's were a bit flexy, though.)

Re: Nice job

semi-school":2ji2u4wr said:
I like that bike. Good job.

I just take issue with the 4-bolt cranks! C'mon, there's lots of nice 5 bolt square taper kit from Race Face, Middleburn, et al. (The stock Sugino's were a bit flexy, though.)

Cheers! :)
Cranks: I actually had these:

IMG_2553 by PeterPoddy, on Flickr
......sitting right next to those ones for about 6 months. I ummed and ahhed about what to do with them for a looooong time. Eventually I sold the 5 bolt ones because the 4 bolt are more versatile and will take the spare rings that I already have hoarded if necessary. I was not ever really bothered about 'authentic 90s' stuff. If I ever decide to sell this bike or break it, the 4 bolts will still be of use to me or will sell for a better price (They are brand new now)

jujupunk":2ji2u4wr said:
Well done on that project, looks ace! How do those maguras feel???

Sharp! They're a bit "on and off' just riding round on the road but there's about as much power as a reasonably good set of modern discs, (say Deore) which is the whole point! I do like to be able to stop! :)

Back