BSA Gold Column Decals

dvdnwll

Retro Newbie
Hi all,

I fell in love with a 1950 BSA Gold Column in a junk shop in Lincolnshire. The frame was in pretty rusty, so I've had to strip it back and repaint.

I'd love to get it looking like it used to, but am struggling to get my hands on the correct decals (or, indeed, some hi-res images from which I can get some made up). Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance...

David

I had a new one in 1949. The only chance for transfers is to find some pictures then process them and have them made.
How much of the complete bike do you have?

Keith

Hi Keith,

The bike is complete and all original as far as I can tell - well-used, but mechanically fairly sound. The frame was probably the worst bit.

I'll see if I can track down some good photos.

It's a lovely bike, certainly worth putting back on the road...

David

Nice find. Have you tried searching H Lloyd?

The front wing nuts may be original, so is the front hub. The original rims were Dunlop alloy 27 x 1 1/4, In 15 years as a retailer (50s /60s) I never saw even one. You seem to have the correct alloy 46t chainring and 6 1/2 inch forged cranks,. The original pedals were solid centre with alloy quill side plates. You also have most of the original brazed on brakes.
The original saddle was B37, like B17 but alloy frame.
The BSA hubs, handlebar stem, brakes, pedals, wingnuts and chainset were only used on the gold column.
Keith

Tried H Lloyd, but no joy. They said they'd be happy to print if I can provide sufficiently detailed images. The one I'm struggling with is the column image on the seat post. I've attached the most detailed image I've found so far. 132003923_10222176287590229_3161623045717715379_n.jpg

Keith, that's really useful - thanks. You're now my official Gold Column consultant.

All best,

David

I see you have the 4 star gear, really awful thing but very rare, correct freewheel hub, and looks like a dunlop rim. not surprised someone changed the back brake, they were very light but nearly useless. The chain was renold elite 1/2 x 1/8 with shouldered rivets, you have to pull a side plate off not push it through..

Frames were well made, but why use a cheap fork crown and D to round blades?

Keith

That last pic isn't mine - just the best image I've found so far of the seat post decal. Mine seems to have been green rather than blue.

Should have looked.
I had 2 of them, but no memory or record of the transfers.
21 1/2" in metallic pink, and insurance paid for another after an accident in black with chrome lugs etc.

Back