Broken bottle mount screw thread

I've only just seen this and would agree with @fettler in post #11: because the head is off, there won't be any tension on the stud that is remaining so it may - hopefully - spin out fairly easily.

Try to holding a fine-pointed tool (scriber etc, even a nail might work) as close as possible to the outer edge of the stud and gently turn it. If there is a slightly raised bit of the broken surface to push against, even better. A bit of Blu-Tack or similar may help as well. It's one of those jobs that you need a bit of a feel for, plus patience.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.

Reactions: enc
I've only just seen this and would agree with @fettler in post #11: because the head is off, there won't be any tension on the stud that is remaining so it may - hopefully - spin out fairly easily.

Try to holding a fine-pointed tool (scriber etc, even a nail might work) as close as possible to the outer edge of the stud and gently turn it. If there is a slightly raised bit of the broken surface to push against, even better. A bit of Blu-Tack or similar may help as well. It's one of those jobs that you need a bit of a feel for, plus patience.

Let us know how you get on. Good luck.
if it was because of overtightening this would be fine and I'd totally agree with you. Given that it's because the threads were full of paint, the tension from the head doesn't matter, it's stuck because it's tight on the thread lands.
you might be able to tap it out but it's an m5 so really no room to turn it.

left handed drill bit, screw extractor (which has a left hand drill centre drill), dremal a flat for a screwdriver or drill it out and fit a new riv nut. all of these are good solutions to the problem. @enc I'm fairly sure you are local to me in Warrington (seem to remember you are over in Liverpool), if you want to run the frame round I can help with all of the above except the rivnut as I've run out, they are dirt cheap on ebay though.

Reactions: enc
Very kind offer sir which I may eventually take you up on.
I’m closer to Tyldesley than liverpool so opposite direction. But not a million miles from warrington.
Thanks again

Back