Broken bottle mount screw thread

enc

Kona Fan
The Head snapped off this bottle mount aluminium screw. I may have access to a tap and dye set but have never done this type of thing.
is there an easy way to extract these? i believe the thread is M5

T6UhfTO.jpg

Last edited:
Centre punch it and drill carefully and slowly with a sharp HSS drill bit. Start with a small drill and work your way up to 4mm or a touch under if youre using imperial sized drills. Then run the tap through and that wlll push any remainung bits of the old bolt into the frame so make sure youve got access into the down tube to get the swarf out

Reactions: enc
Drill a hole nearest the middle as possible and use an Easy out or smack in a torx to wedge in and unscrew.

Reactions: enc
You are about to find that getting a drill inside a frame triangle is more hassle than you expected.
A dremal, a steady hand and decent burr might be a good way to go. Cut a groove and turnnitnoutnwoth a screw driver.

Centre punch it and drill carefully and slowly with a sharp HSS drill bit. Start with a small drill and work your way up to 4mm or a touch under if youre using imperial sized drills. Then run the tap through and that wlll push any remainung bits of the old bolt into the frame so make sure youve got access into the down tube to get the swarf out
your comment about the swarf, id considered. I cant remember if the down tube is open at the bottom bracket ... pretty sure it isnt on this cinder cone. ill pop the bottom bracket out to check.

Last edited:
Back