Broken bottle mount screw thread

A good chance it will just wind out, the head probably broke off by over tightening rather than being corroded in. Obviously you can't use an allen key now but just pressing something sharp like 2 small nails taped together and pressed onto the remnants can be enough to wind it out. A tiny blob of superglue on the end of a matchstick can bond and then be used to wind it out. I'd always try the easy way before bringing in the heavy tools.

Reactions: enc
You are about to find that getting a drill inside a frame triangle is more hassle than you expected.
A dremal, a steady hand and decent burr might be a good way to go. Cut a groove and turnnitnoutnwoth a screw driver.
Theres plenty of space .. i tried it up. The problem is my lack of skill in holding the drill steady and straight and not skimming off across the re painted downtube :eek::oops: i was thinking of "masking" up the area around the mount ... keyhole surgery 🤔 😂

Last edited:
, the head probably broke off by over tightening rather than being corroded in.
oh, i take full responsibility. id not masked up the holes when I prepped/ painted the frame o_O This particular thread was tough going in, there was obviously crap in the threads ... lesson learned :oops:

If you are worried about running off, do a hole through a block of wood and clamp it to the frame as a guide to do through.

If it is tight with paint, I'd try to give it a couple of sharp taps with a punch, should loosen the paint a bit and free it up. The bolt is much softer than the steel it's going into and will deform much more readily.

@novocaines suggestion with a Dremel is another excellent hack to get them out.

If you do go for the drill route, you can drill a small hole then tap a torx bit in with a bit of an inteference fit. Then use it to wind it out.

Whatever you do, the paintwork looks excellent so I'd the safest/kindest method first.

It's in ali. The frame maybe steel but the riv nut (it isn't a braised fitting) isn't. Worst case you **** up the riv nut and need to drill it out and fit a new one they are dirt cheap, but it won't be paint matched.

If you get to that point ask and ill tell you the fitting trick without the dedicated tool.

Back