Brodie Catalyst

Re: Brodie Catalyst - PROGRESS! Oct 4, 2010

RockiMtn":33cwhv4p said:
Don't you have ENOUGH unfinished projects? :?

get on the RM Cirrus already! :evil:

Avalanche...

...of course, if you know where I could GET a Cirrus....

:LOL:

Re: Brodie Catalyst - PROGRESS! Oct 4, 2010

utahdog2003":bw9f3b7u said:
RockiMtn":bw9f3b7u said:
Don't you have ENOUGH unfinished projects? :?

get on the RM Cirrus already! :evil:

Avalanche...

...of course, if you know where I could GET a Cirrus....

:LOL:

No, in neilll's case, it's a Cirrus.

And no Cirrus for you till you finish off that Avalanche! :roll:

That spider rust stuff is why I havn't stripped the paint of my RM Altitude. What I cannot see I don't need to know... and I don't need to know how far the worms have gone :twisted:

FluffyChicken":sv8bbmzt said:
That spider rust stuff is why I havn't stripped the paint of my RM Altitude. What I cannot see I don't need to know... and I don't need to know how far the worms have gone :twisted:

Get it off there fast! Easier paint than to worry, and easier to patch a frame than to replace tubes! :shock:

Plus you'll have peace of mind. :D

good job

another favorite of mine, great job cant wait to see it finished. :cool:

utahdog2003":179ypqt9 said:
That picture of the chainstays showing the spider web surface rust should be a warning to all you guys powder coating steel frames. Water creeps under powder coating and the frame rusts and you can't see it. Watch your powder coated steel frames carefully for rust and fix it if you see it. :shock:

I think that if this Brodie were neglected for another season or two, it would be trash. And that would be a damn shame. :cry:

good tip.

Your threads are always so much fun; wish I had the time and space to do this stuff. Ah, one day :(

What do you use for peeling the paint off so nicely, and in what quantity? thanks

Powder coating absolutely flakes right off when you use Permatex Gasket Remover. The Permatex part number is 80646 (NAPA part number is 765-1230), and it comes in a 12 oz can. You can strip a frame with one can and there is NO SCRAPING! WOOHOO!

Only works on powder coating. Don't waste your time with a painted frame. For that I like Jasco or Blitz strippers for big tough jobs, but only if Citristrip fails to work. Jasco will eat the meat from your bones. Wear gloves and a mask.

Two coats of paint applied and another two to go, then I'll rub it out with compound and add my stickers. It looks great and I'm excited. :D

One more thing...there is a 'new' Permatex Gasket Remover, part number 80645, and it WILL NOT remove powder coating. You must use 80646. Be warned! :D

That Brodie is a sweet frame, one that you don't see often. I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product!

I think you need to make some room in your garage now. How about selling me the '94 EWR? My E-Motion needs a brother. :cool: ;)

Back