British team at 1989 Mountain Bike World Championships

I agree with UncleJack that the yawner is probably John Stephenson.

Next to Simon Burney (who's top right) is Chris Payne of the UCI apparently.

Re:

Nope, that's me (Rob Hicks) with the idiot gape sat next to Paul Hinton. I was semi sponsored by Overburys and traveled out with Andy Pegg (Gary Fisher UK @ the time) and a couple of lads from Wales?. Sorry guys, I can't remember your names even though we trained together in the UK a couple of times !!
And it was definitely 1988 btw...
Correction, I was riding a Roberts White Spider for this race. I had the Overburys at Villard de lans '87 World Championships. Finished that with a broken shoulder after crashing in the rock garden on the descent back into town!

jazzibizznizz":19w5oeyl said:
the first ever world championships in Crans-Montana, Switzerland.

The first ever world championships were in France, in Villard de Lans in 1987, with Ned Overend's victory on his Schwinn. Jo Murray was 2 on his Marin ;)
But 2 or 3 Brittish came for riding ;) and so there were the first MTB UK team and they visited us for the 25 th anniversary.
Here's one of those brittish rider (I don't remember his name…)

76ca3236122eed31be8ee8309dbc519513401998276.jpg

IMG1-3.jpg

IMG2-4.jpg

The guy on the back row far left looks like Alvin Lee from Ten Years After, the guy on the back row far right looks like Ian Botham, and the guy on the back row in the vest is just wrong! wearing those shorts :facepalm: :LOL:

IMG2-4.jpg

Jacques Devi on the left, Ned overend in the middle and with the first world championship shirt (before UCI) and Jo Murray :D

And yes, it should be Alvin Lee :)

Back