Brake blocks (and cables)

Tsundere

Fat Chance Fan
Feedback
View
These items don't tend to get the attention they deserve, but as all cyclists know they are just as important as any other component. Like tyres, brake blocks and cables tend to perish much faster than most other parts of a bike, especially when we are talking about bikes from 30-40 years ago, and if you buy an old bike to ride, as opposed to admire, perhaps wheel out for the occasional photograph or to enter into beauty pageants, then brake blocks and cables are almost certainly going to be the first things you'll have to replace on any old bike if you value your life, along with the tyres.

Of course those of us who restore bikes primarily to ride while striving to maintain as much of the bikes original character as we can (when we can't get NOS catalogue spec tyres) will try to get modern tyres that at least resemble those old tyres aesthetically with tan walls and whatnot while delivering the safety and stability only new rubber can provide, so following on from that what's the best way to go when it comes to brake blocks and cables?

What brands do you guys tend to go for, are there any RB approved purveyors of such wares out there? Maybe old brake blocks aren't that bad as long as they haven't been worn to a wafer and old cables just need a wipe and a squirt of lube.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
BBB cross stop. Used them for over a decade. Fantastic multi compound blocks and if you buy in bulk (12 pairs a go) just £4 a pair.

Personally, i can't see the point in stripping a rim and getting appalling braking to boot, using rock hard 30 year old blocks!

As for cables, full size 2mm fatties are nice if your running that era of kit or otherwise ive found lex /cex jagwire stainless very good, with a good range of colours.

If you need 2mm cables, nipples, ferrules and outer, these are all readily available from Venhill......cheap as chips and just solder together like mdvineng. Just remember stainless cables need stainless flux or solder for a lasting birdsnest.

Managed to find 2mm SLR brake cables,the old 2mm ones,in the past.Was a seller on ebay with a crate load of front ones for sale,had enough cable/outer to be used for the rear too.Slightly later Shimano 'M-system' ones are around,the modern versions are pretty similar to original and still being produced.
I use modern Shimano SP41 gear cables,don't think they look out of place.
So far,with brake blocks,I've been fortunate and always managed original ones.Have barely used original ones on my '92 Cro-Mega,one small crack in the rubber on one block,otherwise great.Couple of bikes with NOS M737 cartridge pads.Can be a bit hard as mentioned but can't say it's noticeable with braking.
It's pretty much all Shimano with me but there's certainly some good aftermarket,Clarkes,Fibrax etc.Was warned away from Jagwire by my mate,LBS mechanic,reckons the inners are a bit prone to breaking compared with Shimano.Had a couple of cable outers break with Jagwire.Good selection of colours/finishes,though not very retro.
IMG_3695.JPG IMG_2706.JPG

Back