boy"O"boy's 1992 Marin Pine Mountain / Browning suspension

Re: Re:

MatBH5":3jgmxjch said:
Great to see this further detail. That fork looks very much like a Project 2. I wonder whether for early Browning tests, they may have modified an existing fork? Just a thought.

Could be that too Mat. :?
Definately think Mike's is a prototype (even if there is a faint 'Prototype' written on the steerer tube) Suppose it was what was available at the time to modify that could accept a 1 1/4" steerer. Where the project 2's available in this size?

KeepItSteel":3jgmxjch said:
was never a big Marin fan, but this just became my instant favourite. Love it.

How well does the fork perform on the trail?

Cheers! - It's becoming a bit of an obsession with researching this. I've emailed Marin - No response as yet. Initially I was going to break this for parts for the Cannondale, but the more I dig deeper the more I want to get this back into a fully restored shape as there's more too it than a Marin Pine mountain with a suspension fork. Must be one of the 1st Suspension corrected bikes?
As for the forks working.... they were before I dismantled the bike! .....I hope they still are when I put it back together!
Performance on the trail? - that's yet to be found out! 2 settings and a lock out await!

retrobikeguy":3jgmxjch said:
KeepItSteel":3jgmxjch said:

if it's anything like my trials unit would be interested to know as sadly it needs refurbishing but if somebody can show me how to do it ........... :shock:

I've chosen to go nowhere near disassembly of the shock RBG - the big warning sticker that says 'WARNING -DO NOT OPEN' puts me off!!
Someone out there would be braver than me in exploring this but whilst mine still work, I'm leaving well alone and just cosmetically tidying them.

boy"O"boy

Re: Marin-Browning.

Trialsmeister":4hlc86ff said:
As Recieved, from David all packed and squared away with the greatest of care, total gentleman of the forum. My plans are a little different with this one, to yours Boy'o'boy. After removing the seatpost (it's having a looong soak!) I'm going to treat the rust and touch up the primed areas as best as I can, repaint the forks and rebuild the frameset with original decals intact. I like that it's had a life and shows it! The BB is out now and is very serviceable. I'll put some bits on I have squirrelled away from here, inc some Ti Sakae Bulges and a TCO post I have, use the XT 730/732 wheelset that David sent with, same on group.

Cheers again,

Mike

Just a thought on this one Mike. Have you got the seat post out yet?
The TCO sounds a good choice. I was going to replace mine with a period Deore DX type.
I measured it to order one and it's something daft like a 30.9mm size. (I'll measure this properly and add to the thread) I'm pretty sure that Shimano didn't make this size of post, so I'll probably be going with the stock Marin one now after a bit of tidying.

I've also taken some pics of the 'fork noodle' that's missing from yours. It looks fairly straight forward to fabricate - a cable stop TIG'd to a 5mm Steel Rod.

Here you go...

Attachments

• browning noodle 4.jpg
    browning noodle 4.jpg
    36.1 KB · Views: 710
  • browning noodle 3.jpg
    browning noodle 3.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 710
  • browning noodle 2.jpg
    browning noodle 2.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 710
  • browning noodle 1.jpg
    browning noodle 1.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 710
Re:

So, I've started to strip the paint from the frame..... it's a better painted than the forks (they used primer!!) so will take a few evenings to get all of it off before the primer base coat.
Sensibly ;) - just before I went straight in with the 120 Grit! - I measured the points I needed to mask up when I apply the matt black over the neon orange.

Thinking (as you do!) - Why didn't they apply the same neon orange colour break up to the rear triangle as they did with the standard Pine Mountain?
..... then I found this Pic of a 'Team Marin' which makes more sense. :cool:

Was this sort colour break -up different to the European 1992 Catalogue ones?
The 1992 Brochure shows the neon painted rear triangle type.

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Attachments

• Frame measure 1.jpg
    Frame measure 1.jpg
    86.8 KB · Views: 708
  • Pine mountain brochure 92.jpg
    Pine mountain brochure 92.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 708
  • Normal pine mountain.JPG
    Normal pine mountain.JPG
    141.4 KB · Views: 708
  • Marin team 1991.jpg
    Marin team 1991.jpg
    75.8 KB · Views: 709
Re:

...more dimensions of colour break up bands.

Attachments

• Frame measure 5.jpg
    Frame measure 5.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 704
  • Frame measure 3.jpg
    Frame measure 3.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 704
  • Frame measure 2.jpg
    Frame measure 2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 704
  • Frame measure 4.jpg
    Frame measure 4.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 704

boy"O"boy":1zzovsna said:
Just a thought on this one Mike. Have you got the seat post out yet?
The TCO sounds a good choice. I was going to replace mine with a period Deore DX type.
I measured it to order one and it's something daft like a 30.9mm size. (I'll measure this properly and add to the thread) I'm pretty sure that Shimano didn't make this size of post, so I'll probably be going with the stock Marin one now after a bit of tidying.

I've also taken some pics of the 'fork noodle' that's missing from yours. It looks fairly straight forward to fabricate - a cable stop TIG'd to a 5mm Steel Rod.

Here you go...

Cheers boy"o"boy, that's solid gold right there. Also Matt and others for your words. David kindly supplied the missing piece of the canti stop, it caught the worst of the rust. Can I ask, where the 5mm steel rod sleeves into the fork, is it welded in on yours, or threaded or just pressed in there would you say?

I recently picked up some hydrostops from another forum member and was going to use those short term, use the 5mm steel rod into fork sleeve as some kind of hose clip, but that's still tbc!

I've thrown a couple of hours at the seatpost, still no movement, it's had its seat tube filled upsidedown with plus gas, up until it's peeing out of the bb hole, soaking for a couple of days. The pipe freeze has just arrived today. The post is all the way in so can't get a good vernier on what's sticking up, to provide an insight into the size. Also on this bike, the rear triangle was accent colour, or at least is accent colour, underneath the black, which is a match for the mainframe and I would be sure is original.

retrobikeguy":1zzovsna said:
KeepItSteel":1zzovsna said:

if it's anything like my trials unit would be interested to know as sadly it needs refurbishing but if somebody can show me how to do it ........... :shock:

Also, not had the chance to ride the forks, as too much on the to do list to rebuild on arrival, before, rebuilding again, so will look forward to seeing if there's any Nitrogen left in that head tube canister! I also don't fancy releasing any pressure of the same, that's possibly still in there! If it needs some major attention and is viable....

I have a guy in mind who could be the one to rebuild these. Used to get my trials bikes shocks reworked by him, so I will keep all you Browning custodians in the loop with this. (I think pics of the Browning Trials Unit should grace boy"o"boy's thread too?!)

Thanks for the awesome info again, progress here will be slow for a couple of weeks, due to my iffy kidney. I WILL do a build thread!!

Keep up the good work,

M

boy"O"boy":zml98pb0 said:

Strangely that is a part missing from mine to but no sign of it ever being there.... I spoke with a local frame guy who was a little concerned about putting any sort of heat near the pressurized end of the fork, I think he was worried about a potential gas explosion that could take out his face :LOL:

anyhow heres the trials unit proto

IMAG2486-zpsjcterfbw.jpg

IMAG2068-zpsuj6uom16.jpg

retrobikeguy":r7blotqs said:

Apols Lee, I couldn't see the wood for the trees, your pic was there already, it's a beast, it looks quick, even standing still! I thought I was being all "originalz withz thez maguraz", but I must have subliminally seen your bike and had the idea. I alyways have been, a bit of a magura tart tho..
I'll enjoy looking at your build thread later.

M

Trialsmeister":3hccu94w said:
retrobikeguy":3hccu94w said:

Apols Lee, I couldn't see the wood for the trees, your pic was there already, it's a beast, it looks quick, even standing still! I thought I was being all "originalz withz thez maguraz", but I must have subliminally seen your bike and had the idea. I alyways have been, a bit of a magura tart tho..
I'll enjoy looking at your build thread later.

M

Good option with the Maguras if you didn't want to replicate the missing part. It just slots in btw...not welded or bonded.

Enjoy Lee's thread - It's a good one!

retrobikeguy":3hccu94w said:
Strangely that is a part missing from mine to but no sign of it ever being there.... I spoke with a local frame guy who was a little concerned about putting any sort of heat near the pressurized end of the fork, I think he was worried about a potential gas explosion that could take out his face :LOL:

https://patents.google.com/patent/US5308099A/en

Interested to see what was inside.... I went and had a look at the Patents for the Browning suspension fork. Still not taking it apart though!

Attachments

• US5308099-drawings-page-4.jpg
    US5308099-drawings-page-4.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 638
  • US5308099-drawings-page-3.jpg
    US5308099-drawings-page-3.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 638
  • US5308099-drawings-page-2.jpg
    US5308099-drawings-page-2.jpg
    39.9 KB · Views: 638
Re:

Hey

I also found one of these beasts. In Perth, Western Australia of all places :)

A Team Marin with curved fork and full XT M73x groupset

Andy

Re:

fatfixie":17m8esd7 said:
Hey

I also found one of these beasts. In Perth, Western Australia of all places :)

A Team Marin with curved fork and full XT M73x groupset

Andy

Hi Andy. Cheers for adding to the thread.

Have you got a build thread for it? - If not, feel free to post pics and info here as a resource thread for Marin Team/Pine mountain Browning Suspension fork owners. :cool:

Do you have a frame number you could post here? Also, out of interest, what's the frame size Centre-centre and Centre- Top? All of the ones that are on this thread appear to be the same size. Is it a case of one size fits all? Mine is -
C-C 17.5"
C-T 19"

I make that 3x Team + 3x Pine mountain + Retrobikeguy's Trials unit prototype mentioned here now. Anyone else got one to add? Come join the party!

Cheers.
boy"O"boy

Latest posts

Back