Bought local public convenience for £1

Re:

This style of box was first installed in June 1936. Early castings were date stamped, which is hidden behind the back boarding. It is not until the boarding is stripped out that you can see if it is date stamped. We were thrilled to see that ours was - 37/1 which meant it was cast first quarter 1937. The C.C in the stamp stands for Carron Company, who were the forgers (based in stirlingshire).

Back in the 30's and 40's there would have been about 30 properties in the village. These were primarily 'estate worker' properties, and so the box would probably have been the only phone available. Suspect someone could come up with a play, based purely on all the conversations that must have occurred.

Added a patio with some old bricks that were lying around.

Attachments

• box date 15.jpg
    box date 15.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 2,201
  • patio 15.jpg
    patio 15.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 2,201
Very nice work BJ, but surely that just makes it more difficult to bring to Mayhem? :LOL:

Re:

Peachy!":38kq2iv7 said:
Very nice work BJ, but surely that just makes it more difficult to bring to Mayhem? :LOL:

:roll: No problem. Time And Relative Dimension In Space was sorted back in 1963. Only difference is that ours is red. Listen out for the 'whooshing' sound at Mayhem, particularly if there are any earth threatening ne're-do-wells about.

New door frame in. Looked lovely in contrast, but long term would have been hopeless, so painted it red.

Before about 1952, a tudor crown was used above the transoms. We have painted ours with some detail.

After 1952, a St Andrew crown was used. Prior to taking on this project, i had no interest in telephone boxes whatsoever. Now, when out cycling, i cannot resist stopping off to check out boxes that i pass. What a nerd!!!! I bet some of you that have taken an interest in this thread will not resist the odd glance now. :twisted:

After finishing the box early December, i filled it with a christmas tree and lights, then draped it in pirate flags to highlight the village panto. We currently have it full of valentine oddities. Next up, the local children will decorate it for Easter, followed by a VE theme.

Attachments

• new door 15.jpg
    new door 15.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 2,185
  • tudor crown edit 15.jpg
    tudor crown edit 15.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 2,183
  • st andrew crown.jpg
    st andrew crown.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 2,183
  • finished box edit 15.jpg
    finished box edit 15.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 2,185
  • pirates 15.jpg
    pirates 15.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 2,185
The crowns alternate with the monarchs - also on military uniforms. Have a look at WW2 naval cap badges for an example.

Lovely project!

Re:

I saw a number of these visiting friends in Devon used as community libraries - basically they were decked out with shelves and filled with books to borrow.

Back