bottom bracket axle length an front mech mounting

dan28

Senior Retro Guru
non low profile cranks used an approx 122mm bottom bracket axle cooks brothers for example
where shimano stx were approx 110mm low profile
now if you use a bottom bracket mounted front mech does it sit further in than a clamp on front mech

And as far as I can remember there were E type specific BB's to go with the BB mounted (e type) front mech.

I don't think so. It's just an alternative way of mounting the mech, to accommodate frames where tubes didn't allow a standard mech.

thanks
i thought i read somewhere that some bottom bracket axles are over 130mm to work with bb mounted mechs

Regardless of crank type, older "standard", low profile, etc. the chainrings will be more or less at the same chainline, so the mechs should all sit at about the same place. There will be enough adjustment with the high and low limit screws to make pretty much any mech work with any chainset. There will be some exceptions of course...

The low-band type mechs (which I think includes all E type)don;t seem to get so close to the frame as high band types in my experience.

Back