Bottom Bracket suitable for E-type Mech Help

Lucidone

Raleigh Fan
Feedback
View
Friend has a Scott Genius MC 50 with a shot BB. This uses an E-type mech (and still has the original E-type specific BB as per pic) - question is, as these E specific BB's are no longer made/available what length would you replace it with to accommodate the mech bracket and maintain chain line / clearance etc? Crank is LX (M540).

Any enlightenment appreciated!

PXL_20231005_122229058.jpg

I'd always thought you could use a standard BB as the e type mech replaces the drive side spacer. I believe in the words of the mandalor 'it is the way' on ht2 bbs.

Last edited:
I'm no expert, been a while. The m952 xtr version uses spacers as it can be run with a 68 or 73mm BB.

I must admit I'd forgotten that other models may come with different bottom bracket shell sizes, not the one size fits all xtr approach. That said, the logic is sound. Hopefully someone with knowledge will know for sure.

Bike has a 73mm shell so unfortunately wouldn't require a spacer for a dual size use BB such as M952.

Next size down seems to be 121mm which seems a big jump.

In the words of Ed Rooney......Anyone?

One on US eBay

Other option would be to go with a Shimano HT2 bottom bracket and chainset. As already mentioned these can be run with e type mech instead of a spacer.

No particularly cheap option either way.

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
Yes, not a cheap option for direct replacement.

As you say almost seems worth buying a replacement chainset in either Square taper or HT2 and then it should at least last a little longer.

Latest posts

Back