BoTM Nov 2011 'Made in Taiwan Special' - Nominations Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
MikeD":30dvsxro said:
we know they work with titanium because they do the charge Ti frames

I'm not entirely sure that Charge's Ti and steel frames are made in the same factory. Although equally I'm not entirely sure that they're not ;)

when you compare a Vit T2 (or the original Vit T) the finish is so different to anything from america, the US stuff had a higher polished finish mostly where as taiwan tended to be matt grey in finish.

The polished thing was only ever really Litespeed, wasn't it?

Anyway, if Man From Orange says Taiwan then he's probably right ;)
[/quote]

i was told by Dave at Hotwheels (the importer for those that don't know) that the charge Ti frames were done in batches of 25 by one particular chap in the taiwan factory, but that it was the same factory.

with regards to my "polished" comment, that was probably the wrong word, if you look at the tubes on my Vit T2 they have a very dull almost rough finish where as the US stuff had a more smooth to the touch finish.

:)

Ok, I've been basically living under a rock the last 9 months. My girlfriend got tired of the constant ups deliveries, the eBay notifications on my phone going off at 2am, and the plethora of "mystery" boxes in our trash every week. I was given an ultimatum: stop buying bikes and parts or get out

Unfortunately the only way I've been able to has been to stay off the computer pretty much entirely. The other day my friend told me about this months B.O.T.M. contest and I figured I would throw in one of my "daily driver" barracudas. I'm not sure how many of you are familiar with the brand but if not they had a brief but interesting run in the mid 90's. My first real mtb was a 94 barracuda a2ms that began a passion that has stuck with me my whole life. A few years ago I began hoarding these frames and have like 17 now.

The bike I present is my 96-97ish A2E. It began as a NOS frame I won on ebay. It's range ultimate superlight cromo , and was made post Ross buyout

The build is in a constant state of fluctuation but is essentially as follows:
M950 XTR DERAILLEURS
96 XT shift pods w no ogd (can't remember model)
RACE FACE TURBINE LP CRANKS, RACE FACE TI BB
ACTION TEC TI CASSETTE
M750 XT brakes and levers
Control tech stem and bars
Rock shox sid team
Pulstar hubs/sun cr18 (both blue ano)
SDG s7000 saddle

I apologize for the poor quality of pics, they were taken with my phone. I know that, the fact that its bordering on the later end of retro, and the fact it isn't a know brand sort of stacks the odds against me but in the end i just thought it would be cool to see a barracuda in botm, and even if I come in dead last I still have something that I'm proud of that's a blast to ride

388744_185392721544223_100002204899979_399330_954358082_n.jpg

218046_105446786205484_100002204899979_53683_6032646_n.jpg

Rumble":36clq357 said:
any123":36clq357 said:
i tried to read the whole topic but these taiwan bikes hurt my eyes and i had to skip to page 7.

thanks andy

Thanks for your comment; any other insightful, constructive input to share? :roll:

I'm taking it as a compliment, my bike's on page 7! :D

any123":3kxx3oo0 said:
i tried to read the whole topic but these taiwan bikes hurt my eyes and i had to skip to page 7.

Glasses might help. That way those taiwanese bikes can't kick all that gravel in your eyes while you're trying keep up with them. ;)

made in taiwan, such a shame, when you can buy a made in usa frame for £50 :roll:

strange botm but i thought why not as I think the individual build will be key and not some thoughtless but no less exhaustive (i guess) famous replica build will win another botm. yawn.

manbeer":39no4oot said:
stop buying bikes and parts or get out

Once again I am forced to realise just how lucky I am. I think it is because I have made myself indispensable by being very good in the kitchen

1991 Muddy Fox Alu Team, Top of the Line in 1991 from Muddy Fox, Made in Taiwan (Handmade), full Shimano XT, Selle San Marco Regal leather saddle, curved top tube, fantastic finish, not moved much since 1991.

MuddyFoxAluTeam_1991_BOTM_001.jpg

MuddyFoxAluTeam_1991_BOTM_002.jpg

Kind regards, Daniel

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back