Bontrager race asymetric chainstays

Thats bent.

110_1047.jpg

110_1029.jpg

Does anybody agree that this sort of thing is a lot less serious than something that has been caused by ordinary riding stresses? In the sense that further riding stresses could then be expected to worsen it until it failed. Whereas this looks caused by a lateral impact, but still has plenty of integrity - so there's no guarantee that riding stresses will worsen it at all, as they didn't cause it in the first place.

Also I wonder if straightening it would actually make it any stronger? Might last a lifetime just as it is.

Anthony":38noiyaa said:
Does anybody agree that this sort of thing is a lot less serious than something that has been caused by ordinary riding stresses? In the sense that further riding stresses could then be expected to worsen it until it failed. Whereas this looks caused by a lateral impact, but still has plenty of integrity - so there's no guarantee that riding stresses will worsen it at all, as they didn't cause it in the first place.

Also I wonder if straightening it would actually make it any stronger? Might last a lifetime just as it is.

We'll need better an close up pictures of the dent please. I usually deal with much bigger tubes but the good news is that dents up to a few % can usually just be accepted. The location a long way from the BB or dropout I'd say is favourable too.

Watch out for gouging in the dent, that's bad news. The gouge acts as an initiation point at the location of a stress raiser (the dent), potential for big trouble. And if it has sharp vertical kink type deformations from the impact (cannot see in this picture) I'd defo repair it.

How is the geometry of the bike, are the axles aligned and the rear wheel plane true? Lot's of variables like was a wheel fitted when the dent occurred, but for the stay to be dented the frame could have deformed.

From Keith:

"I made a few frames with asymmetrical rear triangles early on. The offset was towards the drive side.

I stopped because hubs with wider axles became common."

I'd expect "early on" to mean the 80s - by the 90s there were 135mm hubs aplenty.

Have you tried running a string from drive side to non-drive side dropout via the headttube? The distance from string to seat tube on both sides should be equal. I think you'll have already tried this.
Or try a back wheel that you know is correctly dished and try it both ways???

If none of that makes sense, its the alcohol at this end :LOL:

Back