Bontrager Privateer OR, update as of10/10/13

Re: Bontrager Privateer OR, new project, tell me about it!

It´s a great frame!
The front triangle is supposedly the same as the race frame. My tubes are butted anyways. Seatstays and chainstays are more crude though, especially the monostay.
You also have normal brake posts instead of the race/race lite that has a long bolt and loose brake studs.
I made new studs on my race lite thanks to Hollister BTW as mine were gone...
Hope you enjoy the ride when built up as I can´t really tell a difference between my frames :cool:
/J

Hello chap did you ever make progress on this?

sort of, not happy with it yet so haven't posted pics etc ;)

not really, basically i had it powder coated, i asked for gunmetal, got a sort of slate grey, also, having trouble with forks, it seems every time i buy a fork for it, suspension wise it turned out to be a complete dog, judy sl's described as spot on, rubbish, judy xc's again described as perfect, rubbish, went for rc35's, had to buy 2 to get one good built as the first had lowers that were coming apart but were described as needing only elastomers, so i needed elastomers and brake rocker aswel as buying a new fork for the lowers, finally got it working and i'm not happy with the brake on it, not to mention i don't feel they suit the bike.

got to the point that i have lost interest.

my expectations of old suspension is pretty low already, but when someone tells you something is working you expect it to be reasonably ok, but the nature of buying old stuff is it's never perfect and i know that but on these occasions i was definitely stitched up, it was only the 1st pace fork where i believe the seller didn't know the lowers were damaged, both judy's were dead inside, legs and elastomer, bushes etc.

this is also why i was looking at some tange rigid forks on ebay.

Shame. Had the same issue on a few builds fork wise.

ok, since i was asked about this project i'll show the results so far.

first of all, do you ever regret starting a project? well that's how i feel about this one, at every turn i feel something has gone wrong, turned out bad, been an issue etc.

the story in bullet points:-

bought frame from brick lane bikes after a few glasses of wine

decided to paint as alot of bear metal was showing

powdercoat to keep things cheapish, went for gun metal

turned out to more like slate grey and quite dull

got some stickers off Gil, fitted them perfectly, then damaged one in the work stand

wanted some judy sl's to match the stickers, got some, seller said they are "mint", totally knackered

got some judy xc's, "they're mint", no they are not but atleast they worked after i got some kronos springs

tried to make one good set out of the two, pain in the bum as the they have different lowers etc

decided to use a pair of pace rc35's, didn't suit the bike looks wise, also felt weird steering wise, a-c to short i think

the bike was built with the dx groupset from my alpinestars as the frame is for sale, front mech doesn't fit

so i get another one only to realise the it's down pull and the frame is top pull (it was out of sight when i pulled the trigger to buy it)

got a mech verter for it, works fine but i don't really like the look

back to the fork, picked up some 420 a-c rc31's not period correct but fitted, but i needed some canti mounts

got some sorted, fitted them, only to realise that the steerer is slightly too short to accommodate the canti hanger i need

consider using v brakes (will have to buy some) but then the rest of the gearset won't match as it was full dx

if i buy v brakes i'll want to change the gearset to match, this means changing the wheels

a series of frustrations on this build have left me completely "meh" about it, i have had a spin around the block on it though, without the front brake and to be fair to it it does feel nice to ride but trying to decide which way to go is annoying me.

anyway here's some pics, for the record i don't like the way it looks, the grey is too dull and now that the stickers don't match the judy forks that aren't there (if that makes sense) i feel it looks a little lash up build

needs some thought. :?

P1120488 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120489 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120490 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120491 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120492 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120493 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120494 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

P1120495 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

the "mint judy legs"

P1120496 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

i have however built this, i used the best 2 legs from the xc's and sl's, swapped them in to the 1" crown, then fitted all the internals from a 2000 year model judy race, seems to work fine, then realised i had forgotton about the lack of canti hanger, so these didn't get used either, i'll probably just rebuild them back on to their normal stantions and use them elsewhere.

P1120502 by Dr. Branom, on Flickr

I think the bike looks great :) :cool: and the colour looks fantastic in my opinion, certainly not a lash up , I'd be pleased with the results so far, especially after all the time and effort you have spent on it, stick at it and it will eventually be where you want it :)

Back