Bontrager OR, 16in, 1990. intro and advice.

Cemtastic

Dirt Disciple
Hello all, thought I would introduce myself and my bike.
So after spending two weeks in bed with covid and looking over the internet I came across this page. Which in turn made me dig out my Bonti, frame and headset from the basement bought new by me in 1990 from Russell at On your Bike in Brighton for a staff/friends discounted price of £695.
Originally grey but resprayed Red in 1992 after an accident by Chas Roberts, the respray was as much as the the decal set.
Last ridden in anger in 2002 it was put away in the basement after a back injury, about 8 years ago I put on gentler stem and bars and a slick tyre to get using it on a turbo trainer, that lasted a week.
So almost thirty one years from new and nearly twenty years in the basement it sees the sun for the first time today!!!!

My back is better and you have all inspired me to get it back on the track, but I need help and advice please.
Want to get it back to period correct, my memory is poor so unsure what I used to have on it.
I know I need
1 inch quill stem and bars pref black.
Brakes And break levers.

Can anyone advise on what seat post I have too please.
And if anything else is not correct.

Not sure whether to re build as ride as is or respray and re build... don't want to spend many dollars though.

Any advice greatly appreciated
Many thanks in advance...

IMG_1578.jpg

That's an IRD post. Very desirable these days

A Salsa roller stem would be the perfect match for that. They are still out there but do command quite a lot of money. You'll be looking at a three figure sum

The seat cluster looks fillet brazed in your other pic

Back