Bike you've let go, but wish you'd kept?....

One of the last Pace RC-300s built, I think it's the only one I ever walked away from thinking 'I really shouldn't have done that!' and within a couple of weeks they announced they'd stopped building frames.
A really tidy Orange E3, some chainrings/bolts and tyres away from completion, a lot of polishing done, blue Hope/Middleburn collected and I inexplicably gave up and sold it all on, not really sure why?
Oh and while it wasn't sold or swapped I would have much preferred it if my Santa Cruz Tazmon hadn't been stolen.

My very early Orange Sub5 which I bought directly from the company via their website -- a used demo model in 20". It arrived with an absolutely knackered blue Manitou fork which leaked brown water when I took it off; I replaced it with a new SID and over the years replaced the wheels, fitted hope Minis, and added lightness wherever I could.

It's the only full-suspension bike I've ever had and was so dialled-in it felt you could go anywhere on it. When I left the UK, I had a limited amount of space to take my stuff with me and a lot had to go. I did a deal with the 'man with a van' who helped pack up my flat and he took the bike in part-payment. Dumbest decision I've ever made.

I’ve let 20 bikes or framesets go in the last 5 years or so, some duplicates of bikes I still have, and some projects/broken beyond my desire/ability to fix.

But aside perhaps from a GT Lobo, I don’t regret letting any of them go. Had the GT been less of a beast to move around the storage area, I’d have been more inclined to keep it for its sheer drama of appearance.

Top of the list would also be my DBR Axis TT with all the goodies, followed by a Klein TeamSuper and a Grandis Superleggera.

I regret selling an Univega Alpina 505 frame in my size. Great bikes, ride fantastic, i loved this dark plum-to-gunmetal grey fade colour. i just needed the cash at the time for a new imac computer.

1683420197518.jpeg

I also sold a Scapin i never built up. It was rare made from a top-end steel.

Back