Bike of the month January 2021 - Nominations

My_Teenage_Self":1u9675n3 said:
Some real belters this month!

The Attention to detail, gone into that Tushingham, begs belief.

Should be the Poster bike for Retrobike......Sums it all up for me :mrgreen: .

rwm1962":1w1ynuzl said:
clockwork davo":1w1ynuzl said:
That’s my vote right there the Granddaddy of all Oranges ;)

Is Muddy Fox the Daddy? Read somewhere that first few Oranges were repainted Muddy Fox.

Tushingham was set up by Roger T and Lester Noble on the back of the Tushingham windsurf brand. Roger decided not to go down the bike route so Lester took the idea, teamed up with Steve Wade and produced Orange. Some early samples came from the Muddy Fox line but don't think they made production? So Tushingham's are the Daddy with Muddy Fox a second cousin, or something.....

Think that's right, feel free to correct.

brocklanders023":12v3089h said:
rwm1962":12v3089h said:
clockwork davo":12v3089h said:

Is Muddy Fox the Daddy? Read somewhere that first few Oranges were repainted Muddy Fox.

Tushingham was set up by Roger T and Lester Noble on the back of the Tushingham windsurf brand. Roger decided not to go down the bike route so Lester took the idea, teamed up with Steve Wade and produced Orange. Some early samples came from the Muddy Fox line but don't think they made production? So Tushingham's are the Daddy with Muddy Fox a second cousin, or something.....

Think that's right, feel free to correct.

That’s what I was alway led to believe ;)
Got my first Clockwork on a great deal, as Lester was my one of boss’s at the time best mate both massively into windsurfing and we stocked Tushingham sails in the shop. I pestered the sh1t out of them both every time I saw them together :roll: and got my deal :cool:

rwm1962":1lr3ee2l said:
clockwork davo":1lr3ee2l said:

I’ll keep this quick as this is the BOTM thread,

A good place for some further reading is here….

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=203977&hilit=tushingham
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=383526&hilit=tushingham
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=411551&hilit=tushingham

The potted version..

Drew Lawson and Ari Hadjipetrou founded Muddy Fox.

Rodger Tushingham who ran a small Surfing business was looking at diversifying his business to have an income stream during the surfing offseason, between himself & Lester Nobel ( who worked for Rodger) they thought the fledging MTB scene might be the way to go.

Rodger was initially assisted by Drew/Ari to set up contracts with the bike factory, Drew told me it would ultimately be Ari that would assist Rodger (Drew was more marketing/PR focussed and Ari the imports etc.).

The original Tushinghams came from the same factory/production line as the Muddy Fox bikes, they are not re-sprayed completed MF’s, they are brand new built bikes for Tushingham. They do share some of the features of some of the MF models because of this.

The Tushingham frame sets have an evolution of features, much as any frameset has over a period of time.
Rodger decided around late 1988 early 1989 that he was not going to pursue the MTB direction. Lester Nobel decided he would.

In 1989 at one of the race meetings, out of the back of a Ford Sierra pops the very first Orange MTB..it was a re-decaled Tushingham this time sporting Orange decals.
There is a number of guys on various forums/Social networks that have stated, their very first Orange Mountain bike was a re-badged Tushingham, - presumably unsold Tushingham stock?
There is a photo of a re-decaled Tushingham on one of the threads linked.

The very first ‘true’ Oranges’s were built in the UK by a select few frame builders, when demand outstripped the ability of the these guys to produce the amount of frame sets required, product was once again sought from the Far East.
Clever marketing at the time suggested that the bikes sourced in the Far East were ‘Hand Built’ in the UK.

So…MF is the ‘parent’ of Tushingham, and Tushingham is the parent of Orange……ish……

I’m sure Sinnerman can chime in with some more substance….

Andy T":3ca71jbq said:
I’ll keep this quick as this is the BOTM thread.....

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL: :shock:

Andy T":3i8m79fs said:
So…MF is the ‘parent’ of Tushingham, and Tushingham is the parent of Orange……ish……

Cheers

I think a combo of a suggestion that the Formula was a rebadged MF & a tale I read (urban myth maybe) of Muddy Fox's being resprayed as Oranges in the factory in early days is what had me thinking that.

Aye - found out recently a friend worked for Donohue just after he stopped making for Orange. He also made the rigid fork legs for Pace.

Some absolute stunners - bewildering to even choose one!
Great start to 2021

Back