Bike lights

Re:

Cycle scheme is a good tip.

And + 1 for not blinding other people: to this end I went for something with a remote dip switch from these guys (though it all seems to be out of stock ATM: hope they’re still going.)

https://www.candb-seen.co.uk/

If we’re really in the vicinity of hundreds of squids on lights, why not build a wheel with a top notch dynamo hub (Son?) and Edeulux lamp?

(Got to wonder what happens to all these volatile rare metal batteries.)

Re:

I'm not in the vicinity of hundreds of quid for a light set, far from it. I like the look of the ones you've linked to but don't want a battery pack on board, unless there is no option. Thanks

Re: Re:

ishaw":1i2frj3g said:
I'm not in the vicinity of hundreds of quid for a light set, far from it. I like the look of the ones you've linked to but don't want a battery pack on board, unless there is no option. Thanks

Do you mean- not integrated into the light?
As that's how most will be, few are replaceable unless they are separate dangly packs.

It makes them lighter and cheaper.
Replaceable (the bk650 linked too) needs big li-po batteries usually, not common and not readily available like NiMH, these will not last as long.
Hence the cost goes up.

But with the integrated batteries, it's just pop the light off and charge it, easy. Have another charged light ready (which will be similar to having some charged batteries available.).

Need even longer usage, take a usb battery pack with you to charge that other light when you switch.

But that'll be a lot of riding.

What's taking your interest so far?
There is so much choice.

Heres the beam from my Happy Fun Chinese Bike Light We-Bring-You-Our-Finest-Light Company

Rutland water a couple of Fridays ago

I run it on its mid setting most of the time, this was its max setting

Attachments

• cheap light1.jpg
    cheap light1.jpg
    145.5 KB · Views: 295
Re:

Here you go, cheap nasty machined and annodised aluminium with a cheap nasty secure bar clamp and a cheap nasty usb port

They have come along way from the Rose Bikes that Fluffy mentioned, I dont use mine anymore as this one is more than up to the job.

Chip On Board technology (COB) means that these run cool and use a phone charger without the worry of anything going pop.

I think this was around £27 from China and didnt take long to arrive

Attachments

• cheapligh5.jpg
    cheapligh5.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 291
  • cheaplight2.jpg
    cheaplight2.jpg
    22.6 KB · Views: 291
  • cheaplight3.jpg
    cheaplight3.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 291
  • cheaplight4.jpg
    cheaplight4.jpg
    81 KB · Views: 291
The Nestling bar lights look good, like a Solarstorm with a built in li-po and I think I'll get a couple for the kids/wife as they don't get on with the battery pack lights.

Will keep with my (now defunct it seems) Brite-R (Veir and Selecta) lights with custom remote packs for myself.

Still got my Cateye LED back light I bought in 1990. And the twin halogen set from a few years later. Was looking to change them to some sort of LED system but mostly cant be bothered

legrandefromage":20grmcqp said:
Still got my Cateye LED back light I bought in 1990. And the twin halogen set from a few years later. Was looking to change them to some sort of LED system but mostly cant be bothered

Had a set of those when I first did the 12hour lawnmower race, I only got rid of them earlier this year. They used to use a 6v lead acid battery and last a couple of hours, did the job though for a couple of years.
I've really punished a couple of sets of the Solarstorm X2's. I had to strip and repair 2 of the later lights that had a different internal design to the earlier one I had (they had driver coils that were copper wire wound around a ferrite core and only supported by the copper wire, with 12 hours of bouncing the wire fractured and broke, however I repaired them and potted the coils in silicone and they've done 3 races since with no bother. they aren't Cree XML LED's though, they are some of the many fakes, but they do work well just the light temp is different to the real ones), the original still works well and get used regularly by my sons.
The main issues i've had have been the crappy recycled from old laptop cell battery pack they come with, inconsistent run times (I've measured them under controlled conditions) and premature failure. All now replaced with custom 4 Cell Samsung packs that last ages.

Re:

Yeah I need to get some new battery packs, after years of summer unused and plenty not recharges, they're not so good now.

Modified mine by shortening the cables, they always come so long you have to wrap the whole stem and frame in wire.

Back