Bike Hanger.. Overengineered!? What? Pfft!!

Betsy

Old School Grand Master
When we moved to our current house i made an oak bike shed with a living roof large enough to to store 2x bikes. Last xmas my kid was getting a shiney new Norco so i took one of the bike's to work. I have enough room in the cellar for at least 10 bikes but i live nr a river and the water table means the cellar floor is always damp.. anyhow long/short 4 days after xmas my commuter and my kids new Norco were stolen (f'kin cnuts!) made worse because it wasn't insured and it was special order so i could'nt just click my fingers and turn my boy's frown upside down.

...back to the thread title, since then.. i don't store any bikes outside, i keep them all at work so when i get home i stick my commuter under the bike shed and take it in the house when my mrs and kid have gone to bed. At the weekend i needed somewhere to hang it.
At the top of the cellar stairs there's a spot so i worked out the angle from the bars, past the pedals to the back tyre, this way there was still enough room to walk up and down the cellar stairs.
I made a wooden model with an angle which follows the desired position.

fullsizeoutput_30d5.jpeg
..with a loose section spot glued in place with a couple of spots of superglue
P1030622.JPG
..built a little frame around the loose end section
fullsizeoutput_30d6.jpeg
..mixed some polyurethane
fullsizeoutput_30d8.jpeg
..poured it into the frame, trying not to get it over the edges while simultaneously looking through the camera :rolleyes:
fullsizeoutput_30d9.jpeg
..removed the resin mould
fullsizeoutput_30da.jpeg
..removed the loose section
fullsizeoutput_30dc.jpeg
..drilled some holes under the loose section
fullsizeoutput_30dd.jpeg
...coated the mould with mould release solution
P1030623.JPG

..tbc..

..mixed some rubberised resin
fullsizeoutput_30de.jpeg
..put the mould back into position over the bracket with what was the loose section, now a cavity within the mould, poured in the liquid rubber, waited for it to cure and removed the mould, now the top tube can sit on a soft surface.
P1030636.JPG
Dropped the rubber below the surface so it doesn't peal.
fullsizeoutput_30e2.jpeg
..super-bling chrome hinge offended my sensibilities
fullsizeoutput_30e3.jpeg
..so i rubbed it down with some wirewool and inserted and it into the brackets.
fullsizeoutput_30e4.jpeg
..added a little roller catch to hold it to the wall when not in use
fullsizeoutput_30e9.jpeg
..and there you have it, the world's most overengineered bike hanger.
fullsizeoutput_30ea.jpeg
..painted the back with white paint to cover up the holes which i cast through
fullsizeoutput_30e8.jpeg

P1030651.JPG
..poured what was left of the rubber into yogurt pots to make some soft pads and stuck them to the wall with contact adhesive.
IMG_2546.JPG

..fin

Me too!

I took a few sheets home from work a few months ago and made my kid a desk, well it's my take on a console table/dest with curved legs.
fullsizeoutput_31d7.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_31c9.jpeg

..replaced the shitty old balustrade while i was at it.
fullsizeoutput_31d5.jpeg IMG_2686.JPG

..the holes let light through and the cat likes to perch on the plinth
fullsizeoutput_323c.jpeg

Back