Biggest con on ebay just now . .

Re:

i can't remember the peugeot professional being such a shite bike - it's surely not this one listed on the back of may '84's cyclist magazine??

:?

It ain't no PX10 either :) It's just an old cr/mo main tubed shitter from the 80's

I've got two PX10's, and an early 1968/69 pro ride (which once belonged to Billy Bilsland, from his first French pro contract - I'm sure he was supposed to give the bike back ")

Got to love these guys who go to France on holiday and pick up an 'investment' in a flea market.
Don't you think the French havent been there at 6am and bought all the good stuff while you were still snoring!!

Re:

billy bilsland - now there's a name from the past! i remember occasionally going into his shop - it was always heavy with the smell of good quality tubs - and met with the "dour" charm of the man each time! arthur campbell would invariably be lurking in there too. (you can spot him in various pro road races footage of the 80s in his trademark burgundy commissaire's jacket and heavy sunnies standing up out of the sunroof of the lead car)

i can remember going into his shop and looking for something for my bike for my summer holiday to france. his face lit up when i told him i was staying in the st etienne area and he starting telling me about his pro adventures back in the day!l

:cool:

My uncle rode with him in ACBB Paris in 67/68. It was the best place for a British amateur to go usually followed by a pro contract with either Peugeot or Raleigh. Millar benefitted from Bilslands contacts and rode with ACBB too before getting a Peugeot contract.

Sadly i only got the the '68 PX10 frame (with the rare 1960/s six digit serial number) - the correct period parts to build are gonna cost me a grand!!

It was weird in Billy's shop - one day you got the dour gruff Billy and the next a flamboyant Arthur Campbell. Getting Arthur was a blessing though cos he rarely knew the prices of anything and I got out the door with a cut price Super Record rear mech with a smile on my face and him none the wiser :)

Grease Monkey":36i18trk said:
It was weird in Billy's shop - one day you got the dour gruff Billy and the next a flamboyant Arthur Campbell. Getting Arthur was a blessing though cos he rarely knew the prices of anything and I got out the door with a cut price Super Record rear mech with a smile on my face and him none the wiser :)

that's priceless!! i miss those days of guesswork - if it didn't have a price ticket on it, you made it up!!

:LOL:

I'm pretty certain I paid £25 for it, a bargain even in 1988..! Old Arthur was Billy's father in law and story goes it was Arthur put up the money to start the shop in the first place. A tough act fora faither in law, I'd imagine :)

Re:

i hadn't realised that the old fella was related to billy.

i can remember when arthur broke his arm and had it in a cast, we'd go into the shop and ask him how he was doing. to see his arm in the cast with his thumb poking up in a "thumbs up" position, made the joke for us young wind up merchants!!

:facepalm:

:LOL:

Back