bidding on the bay

big.eck

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
right , theres been a few times i've been selling various things on ebay with a reserve in which bidders have to bid and bid on until it meets the reserve or above to sell . now i have had a couple of people asking what the reserve has been and they've made the bidding jump to meet the reserve instantly....

how do they do that ? i thought you had to bid against others , not just put a certain amount of choice in ? or have i just been drinking too much ???

if the reserve is set say £20, as long as they bid £20 or above straight off thats the reseve met, the fact is that they now know the reserve price and hadnt had to sit there and keep sticking bids in till they hit the reserve

:? in a 99p start auction , how can someone bid say £20 and it jumps straight to £20 ? it usaly takes people to bid against each other to make it go up......

i had an idiot buy a bike from me on ebay and he never payed for it so i had to re-list it and he then bid on it straight to the reserve without anyone else bidding on it . how does he do it ?

it usually takes people to bid against each other to make it go up......

yes! but if the first bid is £20 in a 99p start action then the next bid has to be greater than that bid it would be pointless bidding less!

if i put a £20 bid on something it's a maximum bid and my bid will sit a 99p until someone bid's say £1.04 , and i'll be the highest bidder until someone outbids me . so can you just place a random bid instead of a maximum bid then ?

I know what you mean big.eck, don't know the answer though. One person bidding shouldn't raise the amount at all.

If it's 99p start, bidder 1 put £20, then it will stay on 99p, even if he goes back and ups the bid to £30 it will stay on 99p.

If bidder 2 comes along and puts in £18 then the system automatically bids for you by the set incremenets, so it would go up to £19 with bidder 1 highest.

So i don't know how that chap has done that on your auction.

Easy_Rider":jn64ekpy said:
I know what you mean big.eck, don't know the answer though. One person bidding shouldn't raise the amount at all.

If it's 99p start, bidder 1 put £20, then it will stay on 99p, even if he goes back and ups the bid to £30 it will stay on 99p.

If bidder 2 comes along and puts in £18 then the system automatically bids for you by the set incremenets, so it would go up to £19 with bidder 1 highest.

So i don't know how that chap has done that on your auction.

thats exactly whats happened 3 times now , i have no idea how he's doing it either :? :? :?

This kinda sounds like what happened to me, except from a buyers perspective, rear mech on Ebay, brief description, crap photos, so i bid a cautious 99p starting, £20 max, no other bids or bidders to be seen, entered the amounts and when i checked it my bid it stood at £20???? :shock: to make it even better when it did arrive it was worse than i expected and no good even for spares, :evil: , I'm starting to wonder how safe ebay is.

As far as i know the minimum reserve you can set on ebay is 50 quid. If that's the reserve and the start bid is 99p and i bid 20 then the auction will be at 99p with one bid. If my first bid was 100 then the auction will go straight to 50 as the reserve has been met by the opening bid. I think it is done that way so a single bid can still win an auction.

Back