Best 2k clear coat spray ?

Martini-night

Dirt Disciple
I've read a 2k clear coat is the best because offer better protection on a steel frame .
Which one you guys recommend? (Spray can)

Last edited:
Unless there’s been some major change in the last 20 years since I did my apprenticeship in the vehicle paint sector, there is no such thing as a 2k spray can. The idea of 2pack paint is that you mix 2 parts together that then react to ‘cure’ to a hard coating.

What ever I can get my hand on at the time.
Unless there’s been some major change in the last 20 years since I did my apprenticeship in the vehicle paint sector, there is no such thing as a 2k spray can. The idea of 2pack paint is that you mix 2 parts together that then react to ‘cure’ to a hard coating.

Things have changed.
It's a two park that you crack a seperate chamber inside and mix in can. Very clever stuff.

Sounds interesting, does it need to be baked? I suppose once you’ve cracked one you have to use it?
Low temperature but baked is best. You can hit normal 2k without baking it just takes forever to flash off.

Yep, once it's cracked it has to be used within a few hours. I've only used it on a mates motorbike, I don't think it's worth it over a normal enamel or acrylic clear coat that's been done correctly l (most people don't key the topcoat correctly thinking it will show scratches, it wont)

Low temperature but baked is best. You can hit normal 2k without baking it just takes forever to flash off.

Yep, once it's cracked it has to be used within a few hours. I've only used it on a mates motorbike, I don't think it's worth it over a normal enamel or acrylic clear coat that's been done correctly l (most people don't key the topcoat correctly thinking it will show scratches, it wont)
Well I’m glad to have learned something new today, I’ll give it a go one day.

But.....you do need a serious mask to use it....i know you should use one anyway, but 2k cans are horrible horrible for you.....p2 sealed (no beards). Its not paper mask stuff like good old upol....Which i still use with great success at home.

Yeah, Tootyred makes a good point.

I'd stick with acrylic lacquer or anything that doesn't contain isocyanates.

'2K in a can' is cheap and easy but there's no filter on the market that will stop isocyanates.

If you want to do it safely you need an air-fed hood which sort of defeats the point of a convenient spray can.

Back