best XT iteration?

riskllama

Kona Fan
ok, I know I've seen/read a few times on here that there seems to be a consensus that a certain iteration of vintage Deore XT is the best - which one is it? M737? M750?

also, what is my best option for replacement XT V brake pads?

the m738 and 739 rapidfire plus were relatively fragile.
Screenshot_20240408-074718_Firefox.jpg
I'm sure that there are users who don't break them, but iirc the rh ratchet pawl pin breaks off easily in "heavy" use.

We used to have half a dozen lh units in the sh drawer, and sell a lot of replacement rh ones - the more basic later ones were tougher.

A lot of users are careless, but then this is usually designed in at xt level.

If you're not careless and you've got a good pair, they are brilliant

Pretty much what Jimmy said, after the M739 the designs and the materials were terribad.
Also not forget the Deerhead. 😍

M750, that modern stuff there. So obviously absolute pants and wash you mouth out. Vintage :LOL: hardly even touches on being retro. (checks in - 97 section)

737 era was nice, nice chainrings. Front mech was faffy, something not quite right with the normal version.
Rear mechs OK, but wears out faster.
Vbrakes good but wear out and go floppy in a day.
Brake levers really nice, shifter good but don't feel so good on my thumb/fingers compared to say STX.
Cranks, look flimsy.
Headsts are really nice.
Really good solid hubs and the best cassette of the spider era.

M732/5 era is best though!
Just works, doesn't really break, lasts forever compared to M737
Shifters a pile of shite.

M730 OK too but the tech wasn't quite there.
The best XT part comes from here, the shark fin.

the m738 and 739 rapidfire plus were relatively fragile.

I'm sure that there are users who don't break them, but iirc the rh ratchet pawl pin breaks off easily in "heavy" use.

We used to have half a dozen lh units in the sh drawer, and sell a lot of replacement rh ones - the more basic later ones were tougher.

A lot of users are careless, but then this is usually designed in at xt level.

If you're not careless and you've got a good pair, they are brilliant
Never had a pawl go, go sticky yes but easily solved.

I do however have a set on a bike with the actual big lever itself has snapped off, lack bit and it fixing metal part, clean break, but just in use not crash or otherwise damage.

Back