best XT iteration?

Erm, I've just moved on from 10 years of m900, then 20 years of m950, hoping for 30 years of 970🤞
- I realise it's not 20 years old yet
20240408_210758.jpg
But I'm still running 8 so that means I qualify.

ok, I know I've seen/read a few times on here that there seems to be a consensus that a certain iteration of vintage Deore XT is the best - which one is it? M737? M750?

also, what is my best option for replacement XT V brake pads?

Clarkes are pretty much my goto for V brake pad replacements. I don't know they are the best, but they hit the spot pricewise.

The best XT is the one on your bike. Although, modern Deore is good enough nowadays. I like the 10 speed flavour. The true modern workhorse that still works on normal freehubs, copes with big enough cogs and has a clutch.

If anyone's concerned about their XT not being the appropriate vintage, I will be happy to take off off their hands for a small storage fee. There is pretty XT (the old stuff), ugly XT (9 speed pre-shadow) and works well XT (the modern stuff).

Last edited:
I'm running 735, 739 and 750 on various bikes, it all works well but I'd give it to 735 for looks and 739 for function. 750 works great but lost the polish that makes it look great. 👍 😁

Back