Gold Trader
BoTY Winner
98+ BoTM Winner
Feedback
View
Hi,

Anyone using a belt drive system?

How is it?

I only ask as i was talking this morning with friends, yes i do have some!
and one asked if it would be noisy,squeeky?
This is important to someone as anal as myself cos rattles, bangs and squeeks on bikes drive me mad!

Cheers,Al

Never seen one in the flesh, but you do need a specific frame as there isn't anyway of joining the belt. So therefore you need some kind of split stay or e-stay arrangement. There's also been some questions about the high tensions needed to keep the belt in place and the effect that this has on the bb and hub bearings. :roll:

So don't know if that helps, probably not :?

Thanks for that.

I know of the technical pitfalls and have a frame in mind.This is a subject and project i have skirted around for a long time.
There are a few off the shelf bikes available at the moment.
Trek are offering an urban bike for 09 that with a few tweeks would do the job.But there is nothing like cobbling together random tat and making something out of it!

I live my life by it!!

I am thinking of cutting and shutting a steel frame at the moment. With a little help from someone who knows what the hell they are doing! :D

Cheers,Al

Rody at groovycycleworks is building one at the moment if 'm correct.... maybe wait and see what he finds out ;)
He's gonna use S&S couplers on the chainstays for belt replacement :shock:
cheers Roy

Thanks Roy,

I have thought about S+S couplings not sure about diameters ie chain/seatstays?
Also they arent cheap,not that that is a real issue but i think i will go down the hacksaw welder road.Just cos the idea of people trying to figure out how the hell i got the belt on is too good to pass up!

I will use something cheap and cheerful to chop up like a stumpjumper or apollo! So no harm done.

Cheers,Al

I think Orange are working on it .

and there a few systems in America too .

Lovely pictures!

Just one question,do they squeak or not?

Me. :D

Hi Andy,

Shaft drive just looks heavy and complicated? I am trying to make things as simple as possible so as not to tax my brain too much!

Does belt drive squeak?

Al.

Back