Axle replacement - driving me mad

Ray_72

Dirt Disciple
Hello

I hope you can help me.

I had reason to change an axle on a 130mm OLN wheel that I was hoping to put on a single speed I am building as part of a "post Covid19 - return to work single speed because you cant get on public transport" type of bike. Its a 1980s Peugeot Elite 103 Carbolite.

The wheel in question has a freehub not freewheel and came with a single speed conversion kit already fitted i.e. a single sprocket with spacers either side. However, the bearings were not happy and when I took it apart to investigate it was clear the cones were absolutely knackered and it was more cost effective to replace the axle as a complete unit rather than try to find replacement "Bontrager" cones.

In my haste to get the job done and thinking it would be straightforward, I didn't photograph the original or make a particular mental note but now I have come to tighten it all back up I cant see how you can lock down the locknuts against the cones as the non drive side has a rubber cone dust seal that must go on before the locknut and on the drive side the locknut is "hidden" in the freehub so has to naturally be tightened first. This is a hollow axle quick release hub.

Like so:
Non-drive side Driveside
locknut-washer-rubber conical dust seal-spacer-cone-bearings-hub-bearings-cone-locknut.

I can only fully assemble the drive side first because if I do it the other way I cant get a spanner to the locknuts. Should the spacer be on the drive side - as it seems counter-intuitive to have a spacer between the cone and the locknut.

Hope this is clear!

Ray

You have to tighten the drive side first. The rubber dustcover is fitted last and pops over the cones after adjustment.

Re:

Thanks for your reply.

There will be a spacer and washer between the cone and locknut which prevents a "tight-fit". So the axle immediately falls out of adjustment?

Its as if there should be a locknut inside the dust seal then the washer and another locknut adjacent to the dropout. It just wont hold tight!

Ray

Typically there is a spacer and washer between the two locking parts, yes. The cone has flats for adjustment and locks the whole stack against the locknut

Back