AVG Users....

rosstheboss

Retrobike Rider
My AVG has been acting very strangely recently; taking eons to update, starting a scan but not scanning any files and also windows security centre keeps telling me it's spyware's turned off, restart the computer and it's fine again.... :?

Also got a pop up this morning supposedly from AVG about upgrading but which had some fairly glaring spelling mistakes... :shock:

I'm slightly worried as you could imagine...... :(

My AVG updates stopped working a while back on my win2K machine, my other pc runs avira, it seems pretty good.

I was an AVG Free user up until 2 weeks ago, also used Zonealarm Pro as a firewall and Adware scanner. AVG started behaving strangely, would freeze during scans, not update.

Gave up and paid for Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 which detected numerous trojans and adwares on my PC. Turns out one of them was blocking AVG from scanning and updating. Also using Spyware Doctor now to pick up any other nasties lurking on tinternet.

As a side note, this morning recevied an email from service@paypal.co.uk subject: PayPal Online Service Notification - which started all sorts of alarm bells ringing as soon as I tried to open it. Luckily I was prevented from doing so.

Hmmmm, AVG free has been fine for me so far, but I think I might go back to paying for my antivirus... I used to use Norton a few years ago, is it still any good?

touch_wood.jpg

Touch wood mind has been okay so far.
:?

Will keep an eye on it now though.

Another thing to worry about :roll:

:LOL: :LOL:

rosstheboss":15c52b5a said:
I used to use Norton a few years ago, is it still any good?

I got rid of Norton as it bogged my machine down with 'ghost' files from previous scans.....it filled up all my spare driver space pretty damned quickly and was a pain in the arse to delete the excess files. I'm with AVG at the moment and it seems fine.

REKIBorter":2iadg3tu said:
Gave up and paid for Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 which detected numerous trojans and adwares on my PC. Turns out one of them was blocking AVG from scanning and updating. Also using Spyware Doctor now to pick up any other nasties lurking on tinternet.

Sensible man but Spyware Doctor is a waste of time, Kaspersky is all you need. You get what you pay for with security software and if you don't pay for it you deserve what you get ;)

rosstheboss":o3n4thwc said:
My AVG has been acting very strangely recently; taking eons to update, starting a scan but not scanning any files and also windows security centre keeps telling me it's spyware's turned off, restart the computer and it's fine again.... :?

Also got a pop up this morning supposedly from AVG about upgrading but which had some fairly glaring spelling mistakes... :shock:

I'm slightly worried as you could imagine...... :(

sound like you've been hijacked :roll:

I'd suggest that you uninstall AVG completely reboot then make sure that you definitely have the right AVG website (check url) and reinstall.
Have you recently tried any other antivirus software like for instance xp anti virus ? its a known virus and probably the worst. They have over 10 websites all made to look like real anti virus websites. You think you've gone to AVG or Noton etc but you have really gone straight back to the virus website.

Don't whatever you do install Norton products. They are extremely invasive and take over your PC they slow every thing down to a snails pace . Its almost impossible to uninstall as well. Do a google search on Norton problems

Had a quick look round the (official) AVG website, no mention of any attack but wasn't expecting to find one. They wouldn't want to advertise the fact that their product was compromised.

KIS for me all the way, virus / trojan / adware free from now on :D

Back