AVG Users....

Seems alright now, just quite unnerving.....

Going to pay for some AV software though, seems to be Norton 360 vs Kaspersky.....

Any thoughts? I have a Dell XP1530 with 4gb ram running Vista...

rosstheboss":3f7wwtjp said:
Going to pay for some AV software though, seems to be Norton 360 vs Kaspersky.....

Thats a total no brainer, don't waste time even thinking, Kaspersky all the time, always.

I don't think AVG is compromised.
The virus I am talking about is called XP Antivirus . People that are succered into downloading and installing it have their computer's taken over by the company.
They then take control of your browser and demand money .
This is a big sophisticated company that own at least 15 websites made up to look like the top antivirus and anti malware sites like Norton and AVG etc.

Everything that you can think of doing to get rid of their virus they have already thought of. Its impossible nobody has ever managed it to my knowledge.

Once you have this virus you never know for sure which site you are browsing because they even mimic the urls .

You can't restore or back up or uninstall anything you cannot browse to any sites your anti virus software is rendered useless./

Be extremly careful even looking up this virus on google etc .
I cannot stress enough how serious this infection is . It will wipe out your drive.

I think generally, you have to be very careful with any single product that promises a complete security solution.

http://www.safer-networking.org/en/arti ... lumns.html

And to that, I'd add a script blocker like NoScript

http://noscript.net/

And to that, remember computers are stupid. Don't open attachments in emails without scanning them, even if they're from someone you know. Don't go downloading pirate software. Don't install things if you don't know what they are.

peanut":exsmcfks said:
I cannot stress enough how serious this infection is . It will wipe out your drive.

What do you do for a living out of interest?

While I was infected I could not open Windows Task Manager :x and I did not have administrative privileges on my own PC :?

neilll":292r999l said:
peanut":292r999l said:

What do you do for a living out of interest?

mind ya own business ;)

i had this virus a while ago.there is a tool to remove the virus but like me my system files were screwed so i had to do a clean install of xp .no worries there cos i do that every six months or so anyway.vista did this to me too...that one cost me 20 quid to boot from my hidden partition...couldnt get to it from my pc so it ended up in a shop being done.my dvd drive still gives me problems tho....just doesnt detect the disc in the drive...grrrr

gibbleking":8970ew1i said:
i had this virus a while ago.there is a tool to remove the virus but like me my system files were screwed so i had to do a clean install of xp .no worries there cos i do that every six months or so anyway.vista did this to me too...that one cost me 20 quid to boot from my hidden partition...couldnt get to it from my pc so it ended up in a shop being done.my dvd drive still gives me problems tho....just doesnt detect the disc in the drive...grrrr

use Norton's Ghost to clone a copy of your drive and store it on a spare gash slave hard drive . That way you can have a fully restored bootable drive back up and running in 3 minutes . An exact copy of your existing drive in all respects including settings drivers everything.

Back