AVG Users....

I will need to know what you have there. It will almost certainly include the virus host if you have a virus.
I have 3x things listed in mine and thats all you really need. All the rest of the junk in there is stuff you do not need to start up every time you boot your laptop.
What happens is each of those programs dial home and clog up your internet and CPU every time you log on to the net slowing down your browser.
All of them are sending info to the source about you and your PC useage and updating patches etc .
You only need to do a ctrl prtsc the paste into Paint and save it

well it depends on your PC and the hardware and software that you have but the most obvious one is your broadband connection which should automatically connect when you boot but even that can be removed and you can manually connect to the net when you choose to.
next I would say your anti virus but again you can start that manually .
I have Windows auto updates disconnected and a lot of the Microsoft features stopped on my PC so your PC would probably have other functions like 'ctfmon' and 'NvCpl'
You should do a ctrl Alt Del and see what Processes are running in the background. You might be surprised

if you don't know then its best you don't know ;)
there is a lot of harm you can do to your pc with a little knowledge. no offence ;)

No offence taken, I take your point ;)

But then I've never had prob's to speak of with PC so must be doing something right.

rosstheboss":2snrzhgi said:
It's miraculously started working perfectly again!!!! I'm going to buy some AV, either Norton or Kaspersky....

Do you think it still needs a restore?

dont worry about it. The last windows security update restarted my (this) PC and sent it sqitzoid. After a complete power off from the mains and a restart its working perfectly.

AVG has never given me any problems in the 6 years I've been using it.

I'm a bit late on this thread, but I have also been experiencing these AVG popup requests to upgrade, which I kept ignoring. I got about 8 of them over the best part of a week. I was seriously tempted to switch to another program, but haven't yet.

Incedentally, I was having heaps of problems with firefox running slowly, and overheating my CPU so that it auto shut-down. I ended up creating a new firefox profile by typing "start>run>firefox.exe -P". Now firefox runs superfast, and my system no longer overheats and (probably co-incedentally) I don't get any more AVG popus. :)

BTW if anyone else chooses to experiment with my firefox thingy, export your bookmarks first. :idea:

legrandefromage":3gabqpzx said:
rosstheboss":3gabqpzx said:
It's miraculously started working perfectly again!!!! I'm going to buy some AV, either Norton or Kaspersky....

Do you think it still needs a restore?

dont worry about it. The last windows security update restarted my (this) PC and sent it sqitzoid. After a complete power off from the mains and a restart its working perfectly.

AVG has never given me any problems in the 6 years I've been using it.

That's exactly what happened LGF, took me a while to remember how to actually turn my computer off - there's no on/off switch as such - hold down the standby key, let go then press it again. I kept turning standby on and off.....

It would be nice though if Microsoft could actually tell you if you're pc's going to play dead the next time you're going to turn it on after an update...

Back