halfords buying power made it possible for them to source these frames
cheap from a former GT and others vendor after they failed some audit
or so
the price was something in the region of 7 dollars a frame painted delivered
hence the low end tag

this was told to me by a bloke who used to be a rep for caratti and others

i got one of these bikes from the happy slapper shop up the road for £20
a few years ago , it wasn't a bad bike quite pleasant actually

A similar cheapo triple triangle design was also punted out by Hawk Cycles who I believe operated from dealers in the Midlands and North of England, it may have been a version of the TRAKATAK :LOL:

Triple triangle design cannot be patented surely as an elderly cyclist friend said to me once,'there's nothing new in most designs' referring to the fact that everythings been tried at some time, only now technology is making more of it possible. ;)

dyna-ti":2z98bvs3 said:
Anybody know anything about early appollo?
Theres a couple of old bikes in our workshop,one is a Raleigh mustang the other an Apollo avalanche

My first mtb was an Apollo Avalanche, cost £115 in about 1991. Purple and green paint. As a skinny 14 year old I couldn't stradle it's 23" frame so I got one of those cross bar pads to save my nads from the dangers of simply stopping normally!

Triple triangle was licensed from GT (there should be a sticker on the frame to say this). Friction shifters, nasty plastic brake levers. BB and headset both went in less than a month. Came with those almost slick tyres that cheap bikes used to get on cheap steel wheels that buckled on about the first kerb I rode over.

There's one good thing about it - if trying to keep up with your mate on a Clockwork while riding a mild steel bike soon doesn't put muscle on your legs then nothing will. :LOL: I remember I even used to be jealous of my mates Emelle corniche :roll:

Actually I have fond memories of that period - even rode it on the Heart Foundation rally they use to hold here in the early 90s. Had to get help lifting it over the styles - it was too heavy for me to lift by myself as a skinny 14 year old!

I'd probably suggest that those 'licensed from GT' stickers were gimmicks as well as you can't license what people don't own. Bit like having 'round wheel design licensed from specialized' or 'double diamond design licensed from trek': still none of this should detract from the fact tht these were shite bikes and should not be salvaged no matter how cheap. A low end bike will always be a low end bike and bigger boys will always point and laugh like the did in school!

mikee":36e79kjz said:
those apollo GT type frames were essentially gt outpost models
halfords buying power made it possible for them to source these frames
cheap from a former GT and others vendor after they failed some audit
or so
the price was something in the region of 7 dollars a frame painted delivered
hence the low end tag

this was told to me by a bloke who used to be a rep for caratti and others

i got one of these bikes from the happy slapper shop up the road for £20
a few years ago , it wasn't a bad bike quite pleasant actually

I dont believe a word of it.

Having worked on a couple of these Apollos, they are more like a bog standard BSO than even the cheapest GT. There were no shared characteristics between the the two frames.

except this one... :roll: :p suitably titled

Attachments

• I'm known to be wrong many many times.jpg
    I'm known to be wrong many many times.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 1,088
legrandefromage":zokvyxx4 said:
it was a bso and not even a very good one at that,
Now now ,dont jump on that bandwagon :? ,i dont think a BSO back then was as bad as all that,definitely nothing like the ones now

having sold and built/PDI'd a couple of hundered avalanches/atomics i can confirm they are the biggest/heaviest pile of hi-ten crap ever to grace a shop floor,i cant believe we have a 2 page thread about these monstrosities!!! :shock: :shock: :roll: :eek: :eek: :eek:

stew-b":15wtxmda said:
having sold and built/PDI'd a couple of hundered avalanches/atomics i can confirm they are the biggest/heaviest pile of hi-ten crap ever to grace a shop floor,i cant believe we have a 2 page thread about these monstrosities!!! :shock: :shock: :roll: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I have to agree.

Nostalgia isnt what it used to be.

somebody lock this thread on the grounds of taste and decency? ;)

Back