Anyone like their coarse fishing?

Leighcal

Retro Guru
Just thought I'd see if anyone here likes their coarse fishing?

As the warmer months are approaching more and more will be dusting off their gear, checking the weather and getting out there on the bank. I started this year's fishing off Sunday just gone. With my local day ticket water fishing pretty well through the winter I thought it would be good to get back out there while kids are at school and its quiet, enjoy the peace and been outdoors.
Sunday wasn't a good day with just a few missed bites, Tuesday I went again and had about half a dozen. Then Thursday I went and had 6 tench to around 4lb and 12 f1' s around 2lb. Thing is I was using a pretty heavy rod with a heavy tip so not easy to see my bites.
So I'm going again on Monday and I'm going to be using a swingtip, yes something you don't see much of these days. Some may not have even ever heard of or used one? It's a very light tip so fished with decent rig fairly light even the slightest of bites isn't going to get away.

Don't forget licence renewal time is coming up and anyone caught without one can be fined its best not to forget.

Leigh

Re:

Love my fishing.Got a winter league match tomorrow and I will be using my newly acquired Daiwa Tournament 14ft match :cool: .Plan to visit the UK this year for a spot of barbel/chub fishing too.

Re:

I like to fish in my local spring fed lake, up early on a sunny Sunday around 5 a.m, usually fish until midday - Carp, Tench, Perch, Roach, Rudd: birdsong - perfect.

I fish Mr Crabtree style, using tackle I've had for years - retro tackle? Trouble is it's all collectable now (or at least the rods and reels - bankside I get guys asking me, is that a: and do I want to sell..?

Jon.

Re:

I love using retro gear.My favourite tench rods are a pair of Richard Walker glass rods with an Aerial centrepin on one and a late 40s Mitchell on the other.

Attachments

• DSCF1095.JPG
    DSCF1095.JPG
    81.2 KB · Views: 541
Re:

Very nice, I have a few Hardy rods - Richard Walker Carp, Match and two Spinning rods. My preferred coarse rod maker was Davenport & Fordham - I've quite a few of theirs (maybe 6, including a Clive Gammon Bass rod).

Reels, like you a Mitchell 300, Mitchell Match, a Crack Contact 400(closed face reel good for trotting) and a couple of early 80s Shakespeares. And an Abu Ambassadeur 600 for the beach. I've never used a centrepin!

Did try to sell some NoS rods on here a while back, good to know there are retro fishermen here as well as retrobikers!

Jon.

P.S tried to upload pics but files too big!

Can't beat fishing retro style! Especially in the summer, but 5am a bit late for me. I'm usually backside for around 3am. Set up well away from where I'm going to be fishing and be as quiet as possible. Before my fishing gear was stolen I had quite a lot of stuff, more than any one person would ever need but my favourite summer rig was a old daiwa 13' waffles rod, jaguar match if memory serves, with a centrepin. Then a float that only took 2 no4 shot to cock it and a aaa Sat on the bottom fishing about 4-6" over depth. Then just a case of sitting and waiting, which wasn't usually for long!
It's not very often you see old tackle or even methods been used, what with everything these days been all about carp the old methods have long been forgotten by some anglers. Not even heard of by others. For me though the methods I used and was taught as a lad have stuck with me and probably always will. They never fail to catch me a fish and produce on even the hardest days fishing.
I do get a bit sick of seeing so-called anglers turning up, making more noise in their first 10 minutes of been there than I do all season. Then proceed to cast out 3 or more rods to various parts of the pond usually in other people's swims and over other people's lines. Both my locals are only small pools tbh and both can be cast to the other side with a good weight waggler. There's really no need for 40g leads. I see people catching 10lb plus carp on 20lb line and to me it's just no fun! 8lb line is my heaviest and I rarely use that. Usually 6lb to a 2-3lb hook length is plenty and you get a fight from the fish.
The amount of bait that goes in a place these days is also beyond me. Carp fishing has taken over and soon nearly every water is going to be just carp.
I don't think I'll ever be able to come around to this and its most probably going to mean then end of good ponds that stock various fish species.

Does anyone else see fishing going this way?

@66triumphdaytona. Rivers here are great for catching chub and barbel. There's also some very good Stillwater chub fishing available.

Re:

I agree with your sentiments, too many fishermen are focused on size, and the commercial fisheries gear themselves up for that demand - sadly.

The guy that runs my nearest fishery has two natural ponds which he keeps stocked in the traditional way with a variety of species (Mr Crabtree style). He insists they're fished in a Mr Crabtree style - especially my favourite of the two. When he first saw my gear (I turned up with my Davenport & Fordham Avon rod teamed up with a Mitchell 300 - both 1970s), he had no doubt I was the kind of fisherman he wanted for these two lovely lakes - great, only 12 maximum at any time.

It is a great shame too how much rivers are neglected by fishermen these days - I think it's the size thing again and the guarantee of a catch!

For me, fishing was never just about the fish.

Jon.

No me neither, I like fisheries that are well out of the way. Not because they don't attract as many noddys but because of the wildlife and scenery also. There's one place I go out harrogate way and its nearly 2 miles away from the nearest road, you have to drive a very long farm track to get to it but I've seen all sorts. Bashers, deer, birds of prey. I even had a hare 10-15 yards in front of me all the way down the track when I was walking back to the road one evening.
On Tuesday when I was fishing I was watching a buzzard in the sky, it was the first one I've ever seen. I've seen quite a few red kites at various locations.
For me fishing is about been outdoors and enjoying the peace and quiet. I'm not bothered what I catch. As long as I get a few bites I'm happy. Anything more is a bonus. It's just a shame fishing has gone the way it has and attracted so many idiots.
I try avoid commercials in the summer months and go to waters that noddys would call hard work because they have no idea how to fish properly. I don't mind putting the hard work in to catch my fish. What I do mind is people, other fishermen disturbing my area. And my biggest hate is litter!! Most people bring a carrier bag with them for some reason. It's not hard to pick up your rubbish. Most places even have bins these days.

Does anyone know at what point carrying a hammer in your fishing gear became compulsory? Lol

P.s
Some nice reels there 66 td

Leigh

Re:

Here in Ireland its pretty much all wild fishing and thankfully you could count the amount of commercial muddy puddles with one hand.Some of the places I visit you have to be physically fit to reach them.Big old black wild tench,big rudd and big bream slabs-anytime the float goes you never know whats on the end,you cant beat it.

Back