Anyone like their coarse fishing?

Re:

You're a bit of a tackle collector then?

Assume you have a '66 Daytona? I have a '50 Thunderbird.

Jon.

Yeah I've heard all about Ireland. My old boss used to fish the festival's over there, still does actually. Very good fisherman. Even he says fishing there is something else compared to here. He said the weather can be somewhat challenging. He's told me stories of ripped keepnets from the wind, must have been some wind because they're pretty tough things. I have no reason not to believe him though because he wasn't a tale teller. I may be wrong though?

If and when you do come over here to fish I think you will be unpleasantly surprised. Ok there's a few waters around where all you will find is good, but probably more so you will find bad. In my experience anyway, even club waters that are well policed (bailiff) attract the odd idiot. Crossing people's lines. Music blasting. Hammering candlesticks into the ground with a lump hammer, etc. You name it it happens most places over here. I like to be on waters where I get peace and quiet. It's my relaxation and I don't want to be bothered all day. When I go with my dad we hardly speak 2 sentences and that can be in a 36hour session. When I go in summer I'm backside for 3-3:30am and home before 9am that's the very latest and I can do a good few fish in that time. Best morning last year was 26. Made up of roach, carp, tench, bream and a eel. I prefer a nice selection of species keeps a bit of fun in not knowing what's coming next. Commercials are just carp these days and it can get a bit boring after a few.

Yeah I've heard all about Ireland. My old boss used to fish the festival's over there, still does actually. Very good fisherman. Even he says fishing there is something else compared to here. He said the weather can be somewhat challenging. He's told me stories of ripped keepnets from the wind, must have been some wind because they're pretty tough things. I have no reason not to believe him though because he wasn't a tale teller. I may be wrong though?

If and when you do come over here to fish I think you will be unpleasantly surprised. Ok there's a few waters around where all you will find is good, but probably more so you will find bad. In my experience anyway, even club waters that are well policed (bailiff) attract the odd idiot. Crossing people's lines. Music blasting. Hammering candlesticks into the ground with a lump hammer, etc. You name it it happens most places over here. I like to be on waters where I get peace and quiet. It's my relaxation and I don't want to be bothered all day. When I go with my dad we hardly speak 2 sentences and that can be in a 36hour session. When I go in summer I'm backside for 3-3:30am and home before 9am that's the very latest and I can do a good few fish in that time. Best morning last year was 26. Made up of roach, carp, tench, bream and a eel. I prefer a nice selection of species keeps a bit of fun in not knowing what's coming next. Commercials are just carp these days and it can get a bit boring after a few.

Re: Re:

roadking":2u48otd0 said:
You're a bit of a tackle collector then?

Assume you have a '66 Daytona? I have a '50 Thunderbird.

Jon.
Yup an early Daytona.A `50 Thunderbird,very nice,thats "The Wild One" Brando bike isnt it?

Seems weird that so many that are into fishing also enjoy their motorbikes. I like my bikes haven't had one for a bit now with having kids and stuff it's not a priority. It's like going from one end of the scale to the either. Long chilled day fishing then a quick blast round the twisties of an evening., can't beat leaving the house at 7:30pm after all traffic has gone and riding your favourite route. Be it on something that tops out at 70mph or 3 times that, the sense of freedom a bike gives is brilliant.
Haven't had anything as old or timely as you guys. My oldest bikes was as old as me 1985 gpz 600r. I've had 4 of these. Can't beat them just as hacks. But my favourite had to be zzr 600. 1994 model but stripped of its panels probably due to damage to them. Had twin headlights and a set of risers. So semi streetfightered but it was unbelievably comfortable, handled excellent. Even showed a lot of the big boys up especially on the twisties it was awesome. I also had a yzf 750r of the same year and while it was fast and nimble it didn't even come close on comfort. The 1989 zx 10 I had was comfortable, fast in a straight line, but with only 10 stone to throw it about it wasn't so great on the old bends.

Leigh

Re:

Going off the coarse fishing topic but I have a '79 GS1000E in the garage alongside the 'bird and an American motorcycle.

Remembering when I had some independence with my first motorcycle and going fishing with friends (on theirs), with our rods tied on and a small shoulder bag with our gear and food in...those, those were the days eh.

Even earlier of course on my bicycle with rod tied on crossbar.

Jon.

I used to use a old cg 125 as a hack and it was great for going fishing. Everyone knows that cg ´s rarely break and you can take them near enough anywhere. One of the places I used to fish had a 2 mile track to get down before you got to the ponds. The cg was great for this. It had a rack on the back that held a small seatbox like the keenets ones in argos. Plenty of room for what I take. Rods I put in a camping chair bag as theses bags don't drop as low as normal holdalls made them a bit easier to manage on the bike.
A bailiff from a pond I fished as a youth once got pulled by the police on his gs thou for overloading and an unsafe load! He had a Shakespeare box on the bike with a large carryall and a 6 tube rod holdall. He ended up with a fine and some points on his license.
I wouldn't mind getting a nice comfy bike and whatever gear I can safely carry and do a rod race kind of thing, like Matt Hayes and Mick Brown did. Would be great fun.

Leigh

I haven't been for a couple of years and rarely get the old gear out these days. I see myself going back when the kids are older, although my eldest has certainly shown an interest in fishing.
Most of my kits is 90's 1st gen carbon stuff, Silstar carbon 1 1.5 lbs TC coasre rod, Shakespeare Sigma Supra 12ft float rod, Shimano Quickfire GT float reel and an ABU Garcia 1st gen baitrunner. Got some a newer Shakespeare Avon rod too that needs a new ring fitting, some carp rods and Baitrunners bought in the early noughties. I used to generally fish 1 lead and 1 float when I was a kid caught all sorts, including some nice Tench, Barbel and Chub along with the Carp. We used to fish a reservoir that had some wild carp in it too, they were mental on light gear, very fast and powerful for their size.
These days if I go I fish a small reservoir that's really heavily stocked so I never blank. Most Carp are between 3 and 8 pounds and are great sport on the Avon. They do have a 40 plus in there too so there is always a chance of something big.

Carl.

Can't beat fishing for the old wildies, but sadly it's something that's going to die off soon with all these commercial fisheries popping up and heavily stocked with farmed fish. Don't get me wrong I don't dislike commercials, just the idiots they attract. Hence me going early morning or while it's still a bit cold for the noddys. I have good place in a public park that I go. People from around west Yorkshire, maybe even further afield will have heard of it. It's Middleton park. The estates it's near to do have a bad reputation but I've fished it a lot over the last couple of years, even done a couple of 48 hour sessions and never had any bother at all. It's got some lovely fish in it. Stories of 30lb carp, 27lb pike etc. I've seen pike to 21lb, carp to 24lb, tench I've had personally to 7lb have heard stories of low doubles. Catfish I've seen personally at 18lb and 27lb. Some cracking fish to be had and its free fishing. Can't beat that imo. As long as you don't start acting like a duck head with the locals they will be more than ok with you. Even quite helpful at times.
I met people that have fished there from been kids, now in their 40's and even fished overnight with them.

Leigh

Back