Anyone keen on a Beater type build off?

Two years ago I cycled 1000km in the Indian Himalayas, from Shimla to Leh, crossing what many call the "highest road in the world" (Manali to Leh, 5300mts at its highest) and the stretch Indians call the "most treacherous road in the world" (Kinnaur valley). All in a 30 EUR bike, upgraded with an extra 55 EUR to make it touring worthy. Does it count?

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=327613

Last year, my wife joined one of the many groups to support refugees in Germany, and since one of the best skills I could offer is bike mechanics, I managed to fix and donate a total of 8 bikes to the local group, between donations from friends and clunkers I bought second hand for little money due to mechanical issues and then I fixed, all for a total of 75 EUR.

It could be a nice retrobike challenge to see how many bikes we can fix and donate to the local charity group for a certain money (or just no money limit, just biggest ratio "money/bikes fixed", which requires both mechanical skills and deal hunting savvy)

Re:

Just got gifted an old silverfox and suddenly thought about this thread. Rear wheel is well and truly f*d but in the process of finding a replacement and I've even upgraded the knackered canti brakes to a set of cheapo V brakes :LOL: . Only going to cost me whatever the wheel costs me and a mate thinks he has one lying around. Sad thing is as much as I know it's tatty, cheap and probably rubbish I actually like it.

Re:

That's exactly what I found doing a challenge a while back is that the piece of crap bike I bought with its Shimano Altus group actually rode very well with the necessary re grease and tubes, tyres etc

Martin, do you have a pic of the Silverfox?

Re: Re:

Bicycle Addict":3men2jz2 said:
That's exactly what I found doing a challenge a while back is that the piece of crap bike I bought with its Shimano Altus group actually rode very well with the necessary re grease and tubes, tyres etc

Martin, do you have a pic of the Silverfox?

No pics as yet. Will have to get some tomorrow. Need a longer seatpost as the one on it is a little stubby thing but will get it sorted. Going to be letting all of my bikes go in the summer but going to have a bit of fun first.

Back