Anyone keen on a Beater type build off?

Re:

Yes exactly so the budget was 50GBP but people have said it is too much, my original thought is to find something dead, needing maybe tyres but def not road worthy to start with then getting stuff like tyres 2nd hand tyres new tubes etc

This is the sorta thing I mean, can be given away afterwards if need be, I gave one to a local down on his luck a while back.

Attachments

• IMG_2243.JPG
    IMG_2243.JPG
    207.8 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_2244.JPG
    IMG_2244.JPG
    194.5 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_2246.JPG
    IMG_2246.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 387
  • IMG_2246.JPG
    IMG_2246.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 387
I bought a very tidy 1993 kona fire mountian for £50. Original everything, very little use, pristine. It was advertised on here for ages, so certinly wasn't abnormally cheap. In the UK at least, £50 can get you one hell of a bike.

£20-30 for a useable and part way respectable bike is still not too tricky, in the UK at least, hence not being able to touch it apart from make it safe being a bit more of a challenge.

The bike you just showed would cost more to 'save' than it would to buy a decent bike complete... the problem you then have with a challenge like this is what people have lying around; no way to keep that in budget.

The bike was $10, I have shifters (Altus A20) that a mate bought me from the bike shop he works in, they were going in the trash, the derailleur s are fine, hubs re greaseable, bars are trash picked at a Coop, seat will get tapped then a waterproof cover put on(about $3NZ) tyres are shot but I have some crappy Kenda's out of a parts lot of Trade me(our eBay)

Cables, all I need is 2 inners, 1 brake and 1 gear both for the rear, I have old rear Der and brake cables that I will repurpose.
Spokes are rusty but only surface rust, I have oiled the nipples and they are turning, so the only thing is labour, which well I enjoy mucking around on bikes, so do not consider labour something I need to charge for.

The point is too start with a Beater, not a "Look at this GT Timberline I picked up for £30, its mint too!"

The sort of bike you can ride somewhere, lock it up and still find it there 2 days later, mainly because the thieves wondered if it smelt?

Re:

sounds like my old Giant. Paid £5 for it. spent £3 on a chain and rode the hell out of it. Everyone took the mick but it was one of the most fun bikes I ever had and haven't found anything I like as much since

MarinMartin, exactly, more fun to ride as you don't have worry about them.

Do you have a Muirwoods for 90-91? As they are the same bullet proof any nice to ride

Re:

no that's one I haven't had. I've had 2 1991 palisades trails and a 93 (all tatty but less than £15) and a 1995 muirwoods. to be honest as bad as it sounds I didn't like them compared to the giant.

This cost me about £65 to build (with much generosity from Longun)

file.php

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
legrandefromage":1s9qtgie said:
This cost me about £65 to build (with much generosity from Longun)

Nice dale, if that is what you can put together for 65 quid then you really are "King of the Skip Monkeys".

Maybe ditch the budget "challenge" and just run a POSotM Poll - down and dirty like the current BotM special?

Latest posts

Back