Anyone interested in learning languages?šŸ˜€

Iā€™m bilingual because my parents are from seperate countries, so itā€™s pretty hard to learn a 3rd. But Iā€™m trialing ItalianšŸ‘

Try my best with French but language gene missed me. My old man is an ex RAF cold war linguist. He loves you tube for this. I'll point him to your channel. He speaks Russian, German, Spanish, some Polish & Chinese. In his 80's he learnt himself French & Italian very quickly. We lived in West Berlin for a total of 11 years in a forces bubble so I hardly picked up any German. Before he had to give up driving he sometimes joined classes so he could practice. Poor grammar drove him bonkers. I can just about get my head around nouns, verbs & adjectives. He makes my ears bleed with the grammatical terms he comes up with. Ironically he's very literal when translating. He helped my German cousin with a book translation into English & I had to help him with alternative ways of writing the same thing to make it flow better.

Yes, I often think the real value in translating something like a book is not a perfect literal translation, but that it covers the intent and feel of the original. I used to think Herman Hesse's work was rather cold, and then I simply read a different translation and it came to life.

I am attempting to learn Welsh.

Try my best with French but language gene missed me. My old man is an ex RAF cold war linguist. He loves you tube for this. I'll point him to your channel.
I'd appreciate that.

Although I believe that anyone can learn a new language. You learned one, you can learn another. I think it's all a question of effort. A lot of motivation comes from curiosity. If you are determined enough, persistent enough, you can do it. It's a skill like any other. At least that's what I think.

Back