Anyone gone electric or hybrid?

legrandefromage":1lrl1ku0 said:
76 miles from a Nissan Leaf is not acceptable
in what sense? Because you would be charging too often? Fine, don't buy one. You aren't the target market.
In the real world (with actual data) something like 70% of drivers would manage an entire week on one charge. Get up to 85% and it's essentially mon-fri on one charge, then another for the weekend.

Sounds perfectly acceptable to me. And 85% of the car buying public. (In Europe, Asia, South America most of Africa and the Middle East)

USA, Australia, NZ and Russia, it's probably 75%.

FWIW the vast majority of people over estimate their mileage. And not by a small amount either.

Many manufacturers are offering cheap hire for customers as well. For those times you really need a large estate to visit relatives.

Its not acceptable when I can buy a low tax band fiesta for under £2k and get around 450 miles from 35 litres of diesel.

Its still possible to buy and insure a vehicle for less than a return trip between London and Bristol.

Until those numbers change please explain to people how an all electric vehicle is a cheaper alternative to a second hand diesel.

mattr":hh661u4y said:
legrandefromage":hh661u4y said:
76 miles from a Nissan Leaf is not acceptable
in what sense? Because you would be charging too often? Fine, don't buy one. You aren't the target market.
In the real world (with actual data) something like 70% of drivers would manage an entire week on one charge. Get up to 85% and it's essentially mon-fri on one charge, then another for the weekend.

Sounds perfectly acceptable to me. And 85% of the car buying public. (In Europe, Asia, South America most of Africa and the Middle East)

USA, Australia, NZ and Russia, it's probably 75%.

FWIW the vast majority of people over estimate their mileage. And not by a small amount either.

Many manufacturers are offering cheap hire for customers as well. For those times you really need a large estate to visit relatives.

And besides, you work for a manufacturer or should I say finance company because thats all car manufacturers are these days, finance companies. And woe betide you should you say anything that affects the share price or dividends.

The whole industry is just an absurdity. The majority are there to make money for share holders and nothing else. They'll step on whomever and whatever is in their way so they can make money and make sure their books look good for investors regardless of the damage caused to atmosphere or the biosphere.

Re:

I agree that similar(ish)consumption figures can be had with small diesels but what sold me on hybrids is the reliability.My last car was a newish diesel and it was in and out of the garage,even though I took it on long runs it still gave dpf and egr grief,the final straw was when 2 injectors went,modern diesels cant come close to hybrid reliability.Older hybrids are now coming to the market and an 07/08 Prius/Insight etc can be got very reasonably without the headaches of a similarly priced diesel.I think the best ever diesels were late 80s to late 90s Jap diesels.My dad had a 1991 Carina 2 and after 15 years he sold it on with gargantuan mileage and had absolutely zero issues with it,never missed a beat.

Re:

I don't have a Leaf, I still have an 11year old petrol car. Luckily I don't pay VED on it, so that's not a consideration.
The upside of the Leaf for most people, has the drawback that I need to fit walkers, wheelchairs and other things in the boot without collapsing them fully all the time.

Which is where the MPV come in for me. They seem to have the room we need, that or a Van aka MPV without the windows :LOL:
I also don't buy new as that's costly.
Also I don't like finance, so it'll be a paid in full.

Hopefully a nice electric car comes along at some point that fits this slot.
And also if mobility cars where not such a ripoff by the mobility company, we might actually use them.

If Leaf like cars where down at say 7 to 10 grand, then I would think about buying one as a second car if I needed one and I had the money.

Initial cost is holding them back at the moment, but that going to be the same for anything new. It'll advance and we'll all be driving them (or them driving for us)

The ENV200 sort of fits the bill (and of course looks like a Van, but it's not the seven seat I need.
Just 4 with a deep large tall boot.)

You can get a 2011 Leaf for 7k euro here in Ireland,I test drove a few and were solid.I`d say a good UK one could be got for £5-6k if you shop around.I was tempted.

Re:

I will say a friend and rider with us has an electric car, likes it too. Just can't remember which it is. One of the more expensive large people ones.

Re:

The ENV200 sort of fits the bill (and of course looks like a Van, but it's not the seven seat I need.
Just 4 with a deep large tall boot.)

Hi Fluff,

Out of curiosity I had a look at this on the Nissan website, I had never heard of it before. It says you can have up to 7 seats (no I'm not a car dealer!).

I'm looking to replace my car soon and I would go electric if I could but the unpredictability and mileages involved in my job mean the technology isn't quite there yet for me, it's getting close to being feasible though. It's a shame I'm not in a position to hold off replacing for a couple more years.

Re:

The charge time looked good, until you realise that at a dealers place and not at home or general places.

I think they all need to bang thier heads toghter and sort the charging issues out and stop competing on them until they are established.

There are really only a few car companies after all.

Latest posts

Back