Anyone else gone to the dark side? Confession: I’ve just bought a 29er..

sparkybhp

Senior Retro Guru
Just wondered if anyone else here has gone up a couple of wheel sizes recently?
It’s not a decision I’ve made lightly, I worked really hard last year and work have been generous with a decent bonus in my December pay packet. My initial thoughts were to use it towards a ‘bucket list’ bike, I have a few that I’d like to build and ride, but..
I’ve got a garage full of exclusively 26” bikes, none have disc brakes. I love them all but trouble is - when the weather is like this I’m reluctant to use all but a couple of them for worry of getting them dirty or wearing out components which are getting harder to source for sensible money..
My New Year’s resolution is to ride more and tinker less and I’ve owned a hardtail 27.5er and full suss 29er (both Norco’s) in the past, both of which ate up miles with ease. I want to do that again, but with a foot still in the retro camp; I’ve opted for a Marin Pine Mountain 1. It’s steel, seems well specced and reviews suggest that with the upright riding position it’s designed to be ridden for miles at a time.
I’ll probably sell off a few retro bikes and parts in the spring to make space and free up some cash but slow down on building and ride some more.
Anyone feeling the same?

I'm going to let you into a little secret. I've got a S-Works 29er hardtail and its simply the best mountain bike I've ever owned. Far better than any of my older bikes if I'm completely honest for what I do. My ridding over the last few years is generally big days out, 100+ miles, and this is just the perfect bike for that. My other mountain bikes are just for fun and nostalgia really.

My Darkside confession is I turned my 700c tourer into a gravel bike in december to scratch an itch, after a mate bought one off the shelf. Shed 2.5kg off it and shod it with wtb Nanos.

Tbh, the jury is still out......bit quicker on the road than 26" daily, but theres such a narrow window of "good" offroad use, that it quickly gets out of its depth and not very comfortable for longer off road/ gravel use!

Im going to persevere for a few more hundred miles, but it basically seems to just be the " ultimate" Raleigh equipe trackie to me......which tbh I had 40 years ago......just with better tyres......😂

If it don't work I will stick the schwalbe marathon supreme back on.....as the diet and upgrade wont have done it any harm and it used up an m750 groupset out of the cupboard!

I went the 50 shades of grey route a few years back.... A 69'er..
After that my conversion to the dark side was complete and I got a full 29'er.
Currently ride an Orange P7 29, brilliant, versatile mtb that tackles all I throw at it but is equally happy just pootling along the promenade, and it's got a tenuous link to the P7's of yore 🙂
My solitary retro 26" mtb still gets an outing now & then, but on gentler trails usually.

Incidentally, I wouldn't be too concerned about using the old bikes, unless you thrash them everyday then the components will last for many years to come, at the rate I ride my retro 26'er the components will likely outlive me 😅

Just wondered if anyone else here has gone up a couple of wheel sizes recently?
It’s not a decision I’ve made lightly, I worked really hard last year and work have been generous with a decent bonus in my December pay packet. My initial thoughts were to use it towards a ‘bucket list’ bike, I have a few that I’d like to build and ride, but..
I’ve got a garage full of exclusively 26” bikes, none have disc brakes. I love them all but trouble is - when the weather is like this I’m reluctant to use all but a couple of them for worry of getting them dirty or wearing out components which are getting harder to source for sensible money..
My New Year’s resolution is to ride more and tinker less and I’ve owned a hardtail 27.5er and full suss 29er (both Norco’s) in the past, both of which ate up miles with ease. I want to do that again, but with a foot still in the retro camp; I’ve opted for a Marin Pine Mountain 1. It’s steel, seems well specced and reviews suggest that with the upright riding position it’s designed to be ridden for miles at a time.
I’ll probably sell off a few retro bikes and parts in the spring to make space and free up some cash but slow down on building and ride some more.
Anyone feeling the same?

My transition to the dark side went very similar to yours. Been enjoying my 2009 Yeti ARC 26" hardtail up and until a few years ago with increasing back pains limiting my ride times/distances (and pleasure..).

Eventually sealed the deal and acquired a carbon full suspension 29" racer (using a work bonus payment) and have not regretted that decision for one second.
Still holding on to a few retro steeds, but have hardly been riding these since the summer.

You'll be buying a ebike next. I appreciate there are a number of forum posters who still ride rigid 26ers down double blacks and beat the pros to the bottom, but for the rest of us 20+ years of (mostly) improvements and innovation are hard to ignore.

Haha nah I’m aways off of e-bikes - that is genuinely cheating (;)).
Glad I’m not the only one who’s gravitating towards more modern kit (I had my suspicions!).
I’m definitely not done with retros - it’s like modern cars: a lot of what’s on the road now just looks samey samey. The older stuff is interesting and refreshing to see. I’m just hoping to get out more and I think there’s less excuses not to when I’ve got a new toy in the garage which will make the miles easier?
Thanks for the responses and happy new year.

Back