Anyone ever serviced a lefty fork ?

big.eck

Gold Trader
MacRetro Rider
Feedback
View
Bought this 2000sx Stars and Stripes cannondale with a missing rear wheel and seized fork. I’ve kinda had a look at it but I wouldn’t know where to start tbh. Looking to see if anyone on here does them or in the uk (I’m just outside Edinburgh so somewhere local would be ideal but I’m happy to ship it too)

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• 72A1F239-8299-44CB-B6AD-E422745476BF.jpeg
    72A1F239-8299-44CB-B6AD-E422745476BF.jpeg
    864.5 KB · Views: 15
Update…..

The fork is working, it had not been slid all the way upto the top of the clamps and the part that connects the lockout lever to a nut inside the fork weren’t connected so easy fix but I’ll still look into the price of a service

Sit down first, you might get a shock. Servicing is complicated and parts are running out. PM OCP, he has a few of these and has stripped them down himself. Might be able to point you in the right direction. Probably worth doing a bearing reset, they can migrate with use. Quick and easy to do, just look online for instructions for your particular fork. I used to do mine a couple of times a year.

Great forks though, I’ve had the original roller bearing design and still run a hardtail with the hybrid version with the round stanchion.

I never even thought of jock, it’s working fine just now but it’ll probably need a grease at some point so yeah I’ll probably give him a shout.

Thank you very much

I did a set of Lefty XLR carbons from 2012 a few year ago.

Couldn’t find anyone to do them so decided to YouTube it.

Wasn’t hard but was fiddly.

Resetting the fork is vital as they lose their travel over time too.

Wasn’t hard but was fiddly.
Yeah I'd totally agree with that sentiment, get the relevant manual from Eighty-aid * to help you.

I gave my Lefty DLR a full strip and rebuild when I bought it last year off here, a few of the shim strips and the roller bearings were pitted from long term sitting/lack of maintenance, so replaced them and now it's wonderfully smooth.

I ended up making the few tools required as at the time I couldn't find anyone selling them.

Parts are getting hard to come by, for example, I couldn't find the foam filter for mine anywhere so just bought a performance aftermarket one from my local motor factors cut it up to suit, a bit of superglue and viola a perfectly useable replacement.

* Eighty-aid is a pun on 88 as that's how many roller bearings are used, 4 strips of 22 bearings :LOL:

From another thread by @Spankyfart I learned of a company by the name of Improvepart.com who are remaking a few retro goodies & seems their raison d'etre is Headshock & Lefty, there were some tools and parts available on there for servicing...

Back