Anyone ever been satisfied with Cantilever brakes ?

Thinking about it, I ran a cantilever at the back and a disc at the front many moons ago

Cantilevers on early suspension forks were really awful
"Cantilevers on early suspension forks were really awful" , These make the grade for me..

Attachments

• 029.jpg
    029.jpg
    321.7 KB · Views: 26
Yes.
In the early 1990's I was satisfied with cantilever brakes, then I tried Magura rim brakes.... and V-brakes.... and disc brakes...

I'm still "satisfied" with cantilevers, they still work ok, but there are "better-er" braking options available these days.
I still use cantilevers from time to time, and accept they're a bit fiddly to set up correctly and don't quite have the stopping power of more modern brakes, that's ok with me

Yes, still use them. They still do their job. But then that's pre 97 for me.

Thnak @jimo746 for the next love hate thing bumping this this year.

But see if we can keep it to 98+ thoughts.

How many used them in this time, or where you VS
S going on Discs if you could afford it/find some nice ones?

Thought I’d replied on this thread LAST YEAR when the user who started the thread actually still used Retrobike. But never mind.

No, I’ve never been satisfied with them. Persevered with TRP Eurox and road levers for a couple of years. They looked great but I could never get them to stop the bike without having to pull the levers like Geoff Capes. Didn’t matter if I had the straddle cable long or short, high or low, pads parallel or towing in, or the cantilever pulling over or under centre. They simply didn’t work as well as V brakes.

If you can lock the wheel, that's as much as brakes will work......the wheel has stopped rotating....thats it

My m900 cantilevers can chuck me over the bars, just like the disc can on my modern bike...just need to squeeze a wee bit harder 🤣.

M730.....muummmmm, that's a bit more of a squeeze!

Back