Anyone ever been satisfied with Cantilever brakes ?

Mangizmo

Raleigh Fan
Bought a couple of older bikes recently both with Canti brakes, one was Shimano Deore Canti brakes, but no matter what I did I couldnt get either to work satisfactoraly. I swapped them both out for inexpensive V brakes and they are now both pretty good......anybody a canti brake fan ? they do look cool but they just dont work very well, unless I am missing something ?

My experience was similar to yours until I tried some more modern shimano offerings - the cx50

These work well but are still not a match for v brakes.

Apparently the wider style cantis do work well but I've never tried them myself

Yes, especially with a servowave/power control lever and Aztec/Koolstop pads. Perfectly acceptable power and more adaptable in feel than a v-brake, more fiddly to set up but good once done. Both lack the power and modulation of a decent hydraulic disc though.

I started my off-roading on a Raleigh M-50 with low end Shimano cantis. I stumbled onto an article by Keith Bontrager where he gave setup tips to get more power from your brakes. Two key things: the canti arms should be angled out as far as possible and the straddle cable should be as close to the tire as possible. By doing this you get the most progression and power. It made my cheap brakes work amazing!

Not a problem here, stick with M900 and the Servowave (m900) brakes and the A/73 cables or similar setup and life is good and working.
SS7 and 987 are pretty good but not quite in the same league.

If you fit Marin Lite canti's, you may as well headbutt the the wall... or car or tree

I remember having Curve canti's on my Kona. They weren't bad but not a patch on the V's everyone else was starting to get into.

I snapped the bridge cable on the rear and, not having a spare, I just used zip ties to bodge it up. I have no explanation for why but this massively increased the power. I stuck with a zip tied bridge until upgrading to V's

This has been discussed many

many many many many many

Many

... many times over the years on RB. The low profile brakes just before the V-brake are possibly the culprits as to why cantilevers have a bad name

The older wider models of the 1980's worked far better as do models aimed at CX and touring

Set up is the key as many many many (get on with it!) have already mentioned but as above, older style and the modern wider models are far better

*but, frames often had a problem with the heel hitting the rear brakes with wider brakes

Latest posts

Back