Anyone else lost that cycling feeling?

I'm the opposite Mr Fromage. Been Ill for a while so suffered an unwanted few months out the saddle. I'm better-ish but still have periods when I can't ride, and there periods inevitably coincide with the times I'm available!

It's a real kick the the mental gonads. On the plus side, there are other aspects of the hobby to keep me going. Magazines, building my new drop-bar mtb, chatting to my friends on here all help keep the hunger pangs at bay.

Re:

I have found myself becoming a fair weather rider. Too much hassle cleaning filthy bikes and replacing knackered parts. Maybe because these days I can pick and choose when and where I ride, whereas in the past I had to ride when I had the time.

Re: Re:

REKIBorter":1dbrwrtf said:
I have found myself becoming a fair weather rider.
Hmmm! I sometimes think this way too, even though I have a bike with full mudguards I'll not venture out. :roll:

Just about everything we do is in any weather or not at all. I rarely look out at a grey sky and decide to do something other than I had planned. If we are heading out to sea then of course conditions are important, as they are during the winter months and to some extent even now in the upper regions. At the end of the day, you can choose trails to suit the weather conditions.

We might take to a forest if it is very windy, and the clay forestry roads are ideal when it is extremely wet.

For the torrential downpour days kayaks become a desirable option.

The main thing is to do something. If cycling is impractical or just a little less attractive at the moment go and do some climbing or something. Anything really, that is what the body is crying out for, just a little action.

Re:

Glorious day. 34 miles in 2 hours on the Kapu in the garden of England = happiness. Cycling is ace balls!

The only way my bike travel that far in two hours these days is in the back of the van. Scorcher of a day here, but tennis final demanded our attention, and bbq is in effect now, so no going out.

al-onestare":3ek3dx8p said:
Glorious day. 34 miles in 2 hours on the Kapu in the garden of England = happiness. Cycling is ace balls!

how did you get back up the 34m hill?

After three solid years commuting 20 miles in any weather I have to say the fun has been lost...couple of months off then I will return

al-onestare":j296yrqv said:

Similar distance for me today on the road, taking in mainly Leics and a few bits of Notts including the village of Gotham ("holy interval sessions, Batman!"). But thanks to crosswinds bottled it somewhat coming off Beacon Hill down the long 8% slope into Woodhouse Eaves and took the descent at pedestrian pace.

David

Back