Anyone else found their retroness has waned.....?!

Re:

This seems to be a perennial existential crisis that pops up here on RB. May be it's winter thing and lack of daylight hours. Brocklanders goes some way in explaining it. When you feel like that, it's a sign to take a break from it and mix things up then hopefully be rejuvenated and inspired by a sense of perspective. I recently got to a point where I couldn't face the though of riding out or commuting on the bike again. After a couple of hugely expensive and nightmarish weeks spent commuting through dystopian London and it's failing overcrowded transport, I'm now can't wait get back on the bike – although preferably not to commute on it. TBH, however I do it, there's no attractive option to the commuting hell – may be I should quit my job and find something different to do...

Re:

My love waned a bit in the past, personally the best thing for me was buying a new bike which was always rideable selling all my half built projects and then I was able to appreciate my retro bikes.

Re:

I've been on a slightly waning phase for a while and I think it's due to the lack of daylight and now the cold weather. I've also been extremely busy in the 'real' world of work etc and haven't had the time to do the work that I need/want to do on my bike(s). I commute to work every day and one of the bikes I use urgently needs a complete strip down and rebuild. I want to do the work and I should have a bit more time to do it over the next few weeks but I don't relish the thought of doing it in the cold and dark so I'll strip the bike in the garage and then service the parts indoors rather than have the whole bike indoors as I used to do.
So yes, my retroness has waned but I think it's down to external pressures
and so is temporary and will return in the near future.

Have another hobby you like as much.
I build model aeroplanes. There are many of the same rewards as building old bikes.
Research, hunting on ebay for parts / kits etc but mainly the fact that the end result is purely a reflection of your skill and how much effort you were willing to put into the project.
Also, it avoids the 'he who has the most cash wins' nonsense of a lot of hobbies.
I go through phases of having one hobby dominant over the other.
The saviour for my cycling though is Strava. Set a target distance for the week & year and make a point of achieving it. I found my retroness has flourished, to the point were my modern bikes haven't got a look in!

Re:

Love goggles! Everything wanes! When I met my good lady 20 years ago and had kids I gave everything up; the racing, the classic cars, rugby etc. Grew fat and 18 years later my lust for bikes reappeared from nowhere. :D

Re:

No.....cause I haven't been able to ride my bike for four months and probably at least another two due to health.......so I'm fat again! :D

I found the frame I've been looking out for, for so long. It's not particularly exotic but the retro love is strong right now for me.

Back