Any motorcyclists on here?

My first bike after I passed my test was an RGV250 so I found a 400 fourstroke pretty tame in comparison. I've currently got a 750 srad with a 600 race engine in it, makes me smile, a lot :D :D :D :D :D :D

ooooh 400's 600's and twins !

You have to buy what you like and can afford.

Head downs and ass up are fun until you have to ride a long distance (I should know as have owned a few)

I'm lucky to have fireplace and Bmw R1200gs which are both ends of the scale.
But if I had to pick one to commute on it would be the Bmw any day of the week as much more relaxing ride.

As for the small capacity ? just means you have to swap cogs more often !

If it was my money I would go for something like KTM 640 Adventure

Generally what the others say. . .
And seemingly too- a lot from where others are from too- east of the big smoke.
I worked for quite a few years as a motorcycle instructor, through uni and further ed, as it paid better than the cycle shop.
Always go protected, and even on a "smaller bike", you'll still do a 13.5 secon standing quater, and thats as fast as a Ferrari Testarossa. 0-60 becomes a bit irrelivent with bikes as they're all "less than 4", and launch and timing accuracy can make a big difference.
It can be addictive- fo me culiminating in becomeing a tuned Hayabusa owner (I also worked in a rece engine development shop- didn't pay better than being an instructor. .), and sitting on the UK busas forum for a while.
Now I just ride and thrash a GSX-R750, purely for pleasure, as I work close enough to home that cycle commuting is in again.
It has a good social scene, and like bicycles, everyone is friendly, and much more friendly, caring and safety concious than the image woudl suggest. If you're out there doing it, you'll be very well recieved. ;)

Just like to thank all that have input into this.

This thread was in part to help me understand the decisions I had made and to check that the direction I was contemplating taking was not daft. :LOL:

I don't plan on starting lessons until the new year - need to save a few pennies for good quality kit...and then a bike.

Regarding the 400cc + debate I can only add that I have been a passenger on both a 400 & 600 and both times it scared the bejesus out of me. I was contemplating a 250. Due to the nature of work I do prolonged periods of commuting are not needed as I work from home - I was looking at the bike route more as a weekend thing to start with.

Hell I don't even have a car so the bike thing may become more than weekend fun.

On another note.....

How long was it before passing your test did you feel confident enough to take a passenger. I don't think I could convince Mrs LMTTM but interested none the less!

Thank you again for your comments & suggestions.

If you go for a scooter, i.e. 50cc and limited to 30mph (which is just fine for me communting in town) you don't have to get a new licence as you are already covered.

If you took your full driving test prior to feb 2001 (I think that's the date) you can just hop on and go; post feb 2001 you have to do a CBT, but it does not expire, unlike a normal CBT.

H

Problem with carrying a pillion passenger is that no matter how confident your are solo, the first time you ride with a passenger it will be a weird and possibly scary experience.

The bikes handling will feel very wrong, you will wobble, corners won't be nice, braking more worrying etc untill you get used to it. Many bikes have suspension that can be adjusted for load to help cope with passengers etc so knowing how to quickly adjust this would be useful.

I suggest your first passenger is not your nearest and dearest, as once you've invested in all the kit she needs, your first foray may scare the sh*** out of her and she'll refuse to ever get on the bike again :shock: :roll:

Practice with a mate untill you feel at home two up or solo.

Another point from the capacity argument, some car drivers will always be right on your tailpipe no matter how fast and powerful your bike. Do not be bullied, choose the speed your happy with and let the impatient bugger past if you wish. There is no badge of honour in the biking world for refusing to be beaten outside of track racing. Cubes are not the important feature despite the constant belief that its not a proper bike unless it 600cc plus :roll:

Kestonian":2f1bannp said:
I can't see it being any more life-threatening than riding a push bike to work.

Am I missing something?

On a motorbike, cycle lanes shouldn't be available to you... Although I regularly see offroad motorbikes carving up the local singletracks and quadbikes on the bridleways.

I never carry passengers. The last 3 bikes i've owned have been converted to single seats so that even if somebody asks i have to say no.
If as a result of riding I get hurt thats fair enough but I couldn't live with myself if I got somebody else hurt.

You can get cheaper insurance if you agree not to carry passengers, I've taken that option as every penny counts plus I do not like how my bike handles 2 up and I'd never forgive myself if a pillion got hurt.

It's interesting to hear other riders views on taking pillion. Before gettig my own bike I'd only ever ridden pillion on my best mates various bikes – his GSXR scared the sh*t out of me so much (my hands were starting to loose grip under acceleration at 120 on the motorway :shock: ) I refused to ever go pillion again, until recently when I jumped on the back of a colleagues 1200GS at an event. For the first time I felt completely at ease, might have been something about the kind of bike but I'm more inclined to think it was a trust thing (he's a damn fine rider too).

I've always sworn I'd never take pillion once I get my full license, I just wouldn't want the responsibility if something went wrong. Maybe it's a confidence issue and perhaps, in time, I'd change my perspective (she who must be obeyed would never get on a bike anyway,)

Latest posts

Back