Any advice for a newbie rebuilding a Mixte?

One thing you might find with tyres: 35mm may or may not fit without fouling mudguards and/or frame. Worth considering.

32mm is probably going to be alright, and will make everything far comfier.

And the Union pedals fitted to it currently are a really good choice; very hard wearing and because they're big offer lots of support for people that won't wear special shoes for cycling.

Ive got a mixte here, And ive had a few others... Whats the real reason for a mixte frame? Are they womens bikes or more of a unisex thing?

The one here now is a Raleigh , Mid 80's... Gonna get it up together and maybe sell it soon....

I would just buy a pair of rims and a set of spokes to rebuild your wheels, or get a LBS to do it for you rather than changing old wheels for old wheels.

Nice bike by the way.

Thanks for all the positive comments guys.

@kanzlr I think its just a basic steel frame - I think the stickers we designed to look like Reynolds stickers ;)

Happy to use the friction shifters - though I'm struggling to find any wheels that have or would take a 5sp freewheel. Anyone got any spare?! :) As its friction shift could I stick a wheel with a 7sp cassette on?.

@tevevw Hadn't really considered getting the wheels rebuilt on the old hubs - I thought that would be really expensive. Is it a cost effective option? And if so, does anyone know if there is there anyone worth talking to around Birmingham?

Thanks for the tip on the tyres @chris667 - She wants cream delta cruisers I think - should look great. Was going to replace the pedals - one side doesn't want to screw in - looks like the thread has been damaged somewhere along the line and the one that does screw in is really stiff to rotate. Figured what with everything else I need to do to the bike I'll drop some new pedals on and see if I can fix the ones I have later.

@etrowagen1234 Why a Mixte? They look nice :) I don't think there is any structural advantage over a normal dropped bar frame and cost more to make, but the strong diagonal line across the frame looks great. From what I understand they are uni-sex frames, but this one is for my girlfriend.

The Delta Cruisers are a big tyre, even for 700x35 (they are all slightly different sizes even though they're labelled the same). I'd get a pair of Michelin World Tours in 700 x 32, for £5.99 each at Chain Reaction Cycles.

A new set of cables, a new chain (£3.99 in your local ASDA) and you're in business.

If it were me I wouldn't go further with wheels until your girlfriend has ridden the bike and decides she likes it. But when the time comes, a wanted ad here will provide a pair of good freewheel wheels with alloy rims.

Michelin World Tour Tyre
700 x 32c Wire White - Black

at the risk of sounding stupid, these are white walls, yeah?

If you can find 28mm tyres in the design you like wheels and rims will be easier to find.

Here is one I did for my son's girlfriend.

DSCN4575.jpg

Thanks for all the tips :)

Cracking on with the project now!

Do you think these wheels are salvageable? And if so - are they worth saving? Can't see anything on them to tell me what they are, but they are pretty heavy.

P1100831.jpg

Looks like the freewheel is fine, just the chain that was rusted badly so I either need to clean these up or find a new pair that will take a 5sp free wheel.

Cheers!

Back