Another Falcon-Merckx question???

slartibartfast

Dirt Disciple
Hi All

I've been hunting for an old steel road bike frame, to convert to a single-speed for commuting duties (7.5 miles flat road). Just something I've been musing over for a while. Currently using a Giant Contend 2 (bought new last year) but fed up constantly having to tweak gears that I don't need anyway!

I've found this on ebay which looks interesting but googling throws up lots of conflicting info which has me confuzzled. Especially the cable guide being on the bottom of the top tube and not the top?

Based on the listing I'm guessing this is a 70's Falcon-with-Merckx-decals. I've messaged him and he says he thinks the back end is slightly off based on the brake alignment with the rear wheel - doesn't sound too bad so cold-settable? Also has new brakes, BB, wheels, crankset so all I'd need to do is re-dish the rear wheel, fit a freewheel, sort chain alignment, remove inner crank ring, cable up and tart up the frame a bit.

Would welcome any thoughts/advice

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.
should also add, that when I asked the seller about a serial number he can't find one, although he thought there was one on the BB shell. has cleaned up some surface rust and painted bits of it so whether hes managed to obscure the number or not I don't know

Cheap gas pipe frame, originally with 27" wheels. The R559 brakes work well and are decent (I run them on my Witcomb)

It's a bit more involved to get the chainline right with a single freewheel - you'll need to rebuild the wheel with reverse dish. I've done it in the past, but I wouldn't bother with a crappy screw-on hub like that as it's a complete wheel build. It's a pretty nasty bottom-end set of wheels - rustless spokes I think and non-eyeletted rims.
I'd respace the frame and use a modern 130mm freehub, fitting a singlespeed cog and spacers. The stronger, better sealed hub is ideal for a durable commuter.

Personally I'd look for a scruffy 531 frame at a bike jumble (£30ish) and start from there.

hamster":98rh47o0 said:
Cheap gas pipe frame, originally with 27" wheels. The R559 brakes work well and are decent (I run them on my Witcomb)

It's a bit more involved to get the chainline right with a single freewheel - you'll need to rebuild the wheel with reverse dish. I've done it in the past, but I wouldn't bother with a crappy screw-on hub like that as it's a complete wheel build. It's a pretty nasty bottom-end set of wheels - rustless spokes I think and non-eyeletted rims.
I'd respace the frame and use a modern 130mm freehub, fitting a singlespeed cog and spacers. The stronger, better sealed hub is ideal for a durable commuter.

Personally I'd look for a scruffy 531 frame at a bike jumble (£30ish) and start from there.

Cheers, hadn't really spotted that with the wheels. Think I may well let this one go, and keep an eye out for something else. Will have to get on google for a local bike jumble too!

hamster":3a6qh495 said:

That would be my course of action throwing cash at that particular bike would be a complete waste for the same money you could get a "Scruffy" 531 or if you want more modern a "No Name" alloy framed job for similar money

Back