Anodising

damianw

Orange 🍊 Fan
Hello RB massive,

Years ago I had a load of parts anodised in orange for my Alu elite build. I found a good anodiser, but - and I know enough to know it’s hard to nail a specific tone of a colour- the orange came out a bit burnt orange, and in the subsequent decade it’s faded a bit.

Do, can anyone recommend someone to anodise parts who has some success with colours that pop- I’ll be after orange again!

Thanks

Acorn have been a go to place for many, but communication seems to be very hit and miss of late;

I can agree with the above. I’ve been trying to accept a quote from Acorn for 3-4 weeks now and have given up. They simply ignore any email , fb message and don’t answer the phone. Don’t waste your time with them is my advice after my experience and I’m bewildered they have such a good reputation as my attempts to give them work has failed

Used Steve there ages ago sounds like they maybe don’t want the hassle of mtb stuff now maybe? Anyway, will try and find somewhere else. He seemed to be a bit of a biker and everything!

He replied to my enquiry about 2 months ago with a price and seemed keen to do the job. But nothing since I’ve asked about sending it down to him. I really don’t mind if they now say they are too busy , but at least reply to the messages to say so.

I’ve now started to try and find a alternative

I’m going to try badger anodising in Birmingham, assuming they’ll do the job. Will let you know how it goes though I won’t manage to organise myself quickly!

Coincidentally I’m in talks with Badger over the last few days. They were very clear on the risks and chances of it coming out well and quoted £200 but wanted to see pics of the colour I want. I’ve emailed these and not heard back yet

Another vote for Acorn. The work members on here have had done is very good, including frames. Maybe over run and or understaffed at the moment, though they have not updated their media accounts for over a month now. Hopefully they will continue as i have a few parts i am getting together i hope to have anodized, though it can wait as in no rush at moment.

While we're on the subject, i've got a couple of crank caps which i want to be black, i've got plenty of black spray paint, Montana, Kobra and such but to do it properly they should be etch primed, painted and laquered which seems like a waste to spend £30+ on proper aluminium paint for a negligible ammount of coverage..
What do you reckon? ..should i look towards anodising, stop being a tight-wad and buy proper aluminium paint or just prime and paint with regular spray paint?

Back